Monday, September 3, 2018

11,128. 'I CAN'T SING IT BUT I KNOW THE WORDS'

'I CAN'T SING IT BUT
I KNOW THE WORDS'
(In the Dark, Dark Domain of the Wolf)
Heirlooms in the closet which
are never brought out are about
as useful as dead watches. Let
the sunlight shine on all good
things. I've been watching you;
brushing your hair with your shoe
again I see? Why does that thought
never occur to me? Aunt Martha
and Aunt Mary both brought flowers
from those non-existent gardens,
while Mae and my Mother brought
nothing. For they already had it all.
That's what they said anyway. Now
there are but four empty boxes that
we have to fill. Gone is the living
when gone is the thrill. I can't sing
that, but I do know the words. I'm
headed up to Hunter Mountain, not
to ski but more to see. Interested
in a ride with me?

No comments: