Friday, September 14, 2018

11,156. RUDIMENTS, pt. 440

RUDIMENTS, pt. 440
(the winding road to home)
'Two he made them,
male and female.' Well,
right off the bat I was
troubled. You see, I had
always been pureblind
yet spirited. I've only
seen things the way I
see them. I've always
harbored within me an
intense religiosity, but one
that had nothing to do with
this world at all. I'm at a
disadvantage here because
I find it hard to write about
myself in these (rather
ridiculous) terms, nor do
I know if others ever realized
that about me; if  they 'saw'
it or not. It's a problem. When
I would meet someone, there
would be a flash and a pop
within me. I knew them
before; they carried both
presence and meaning, as
if my own life was in a big
rewind. Everything was 'from
before.' One time I saw a
10-year on a neighbor's lawn,
when I was maybe 17, and
the hit was so hard it hurt.
I'd known that person before.
I realized all of life was a
timeless connection. Our
single task for redemption
is to notice it, and we're
home free. THAT was the
Savior's message, and I
rode the bus with it all,
from Runnemede right
through Berlin. New
Jersey, that is. Go look
at a map.
-
How do you explain, then,
what an echo is to others
who've never entered a cave?
Besides taking them to a
canyon instead, the only
answer is through creative
magic  -  and believe you me,
that's not an easy task. I never
walked alone, even when I
walked alone. I had hundreds
with me and I still do. Those
bus-rides home, to the tawdry
mistakeness of the old New
Brunswick station were the
best. Before the present day
New Brunswick downtown,
all those pathetic, white
Johnson and Johnson towers
(they sold the town away
in about 1966, to corporate
interests, in the same fashion
as is still done today  -  the
usual political shits are
always at work. The same
bunch : they get toilet-trained,
and they're off  -  ruining
everything for everyone
else. You can already tell
who they are, in 6th grade.
Nothing ever changes for
them : Blackboots. Hussars).
There used to be a long and
rambling and dirty downtown;
rows of pizza places, bars and
skeevy stores worth little. It's
all been swiped away now,
replaced with 40-dollar a
sitting faux-fancy restaurants
that still think of New Brunswick.
No matter, the same idiots are
made happy by it. Like Avenel.
They go home and stick that
black boot up their mate's butt.
It's all the same to them.
-
The dark of early Winter's light
hung on these little towns like
black velvet. I saw the black,
and I was  -  at the same time  -
seeing the beautiful pearls on
that velvet. I'd bet enough to
say that I was never more
powerful a human being than
I was in those years. There are
a few adolescent years when it's
said that a girl can light a fire
with her eyes. I always believed
that. In the same way, at age 13
through 18, whatever those other
troublesome traits may have been,
I was Caesar. I was Atlas. I was
Alexander the Great. I ruled my
own world as I was forming it.
And there can't be anything
better than that.
-
What I'm left with now is
aftermath. Like the Rolling
Stone's album of that name,
in about 1966, whatever. I
never did get the connection
to anything except maybe as
a holding pattern; it was a lot,
though, like life  -  circular
and singular. I had a friend
back then, inconsequential,
but he said a lot of strange
things. Many of  them came
true. Others, of course, didn't.
About that time, too, Winter,
'67, I guess, the singer
Donovan Leitch was in
NYC, staying or touring or
whatever, I forget, but my
friend Judy knew him and
spent time with him, as he
did with her, hanging here
and there. He'd just then had
a completed double album as
I recall, with some horrendous
title, 'A Gift From a Flower To
A Garden,' if you can believe
that; pure hippie drivel, all
the colors and flowers and
drug stuff. Big deal  -  there
was never anything worse for
me than to see how so many
guys went that whole hippie
route and got all weak and
transformed  -  just rolled
over into things like that  -
pretty flowers, psychedelia,
and all that gibberish. I wanted
to swat the guy. Just like girls; but
I always tried remembering, 'two
he made them.' Leitch was fairly
useless anyway, but whatever.
I was trying to assert something
completely other than that, and
at that period of time the whole
world seemed to be betraying
my thought. I said to him, 'Why
are you doing this crap?'
-
It had only been a year or two
since those magnificent bus-rides
and that magnificent portion of
my life where all the new pages
given to me were blank and I had
the gift of a pen. Forget that
flower to a garden crap. I felt
way more like Tolstoy than
Stalin. My feelings leaned
to Trotsky, not  Stalin anyway.
The problem with Stalin, and
that whole over-achieving
murderer thing (he'd made that
name up  -  Stalin means 'steel'
in Russian. His real name was
Alexandervich something. Well,
actually Iosif Vissarionovich 
Dzhugashvili. We call him
Joe. Problem was, he too was
an ex-seminarian). Trouble
always brews. So, I'd get back to
Avenel and I'd have to figure
out what and where it really
was. Did it have a place in
my scheme of things? Did
absolutely anything of it
matter or even exist. No. It
was a squib. It was on no
one's bus route, least of
all mine. Well, whatever;
maybe in another life I was
you, and you were me.







No comments: