Thursday, September 20, 2018

11,172. HERE'S HOW IT WENT

HERE'S HOW IT WENT
Once I heard the klaxon
I ran : there was no telling
how far it was, since I did
not know the land and this 
was all new to me. 'The
Tenderlaye Woods, go to
the Woods,' was all I heard.
-
Two of the three had weapons,
the other guy was on a horse.
That seemed odd to me, since
height divides by speed, yes, 
but not really for any useful
purpose. Once or twice I
stumbled, but I got right
back up again. The woods!
The woods! And then.... 
-
I got away, or deep enough
through the forest to find
a stand of boulders which
afforded good cover, almost
cave-like in the way it all
covered me. No one heard,
and none could see.
-
I saw sunsets three, mornings
four, I think, or as I recall. I'd
killed a rabbit, quite luckily,
by stunning it for the kill,
with a stone that hit  -  my
throw was weird and lucky.
But too much worth to be
worth the eating.
-
Anyway, I got along by my
walking off; and that was
that. That's how it went. I
never saw those three again. 


No comments: