Sunday, September 30, 2018

11,202. ERUDITE AND FEATURELESS

ERUDITE AND FEATURELESS
He's erudite and featureless, skimming
from audacity's perch as he does. If I
didn't know any better I think he was
Wilbur or Orville Wright. There was
one who flew, while the other stayed
on the ground, I think  -  I'd need to
get the right before selecting
-
It's a featureless plain, this heading
out across the western land, and why
should anyone bother? Another selfsame
shoe-fit buckle of rest-stop food and
coffee. All those same people, touring
and passing along, just like yourself :
with song and batteries and baglets
of chemical foods.
-
I want a land that stands for something;
one with hillocks for truth and justice, and
With a mountain range named for Liberty.
Not these jaunty parking lots filled with
college-sweatered girls and their hordes
of dough-faced followers and the pre-Med
boys from Exeter and Midfield Tech.
-
I grow tired of the living, and I'm
already groaning from Death.

No comments: