Monday, September 24, 2018

11,187. RUDIMENTS, pt. 451

RUDIMENTS, pt. 451
(avenel - green with envy)
When I was a kid it always
seemed like the prim and
proper side of me had to be
up front and center. That got
pretty boring, quick. I maybe
sometimes felt as if I wanted
to lash out. It's tiresome being
strait-jacketed all the time. On
the whole nothing ever came
of it and everyone always 
thought I was well-behaved 
and nice. Yeah, good for that. 
My grandmother always said 
I was the image of Roddy 
McDowell to her. When I 
did finally find out who 
that was I was appalled :
some weak-knee'd little kid
in How Green Was My Valley. 
Nothing I ever understood or
cared about, and then one day
in like 1968 or '69 my friends
showed me a movie called The
Loved One (based on a story by
Evelyn Waugh, I think) and that
same McDowell person had the 
lead. I think it was the lead, and
he was pretty transformed, a
different sort of person, or a
different sort of film anyway.
So then I figured it wasn't so
bad. (As I think back on this I
have to catch myself, realizing 
there was no way back then 
to show me anything specific 
on a TV, like on a VCR or a 
'select channel,' so I guess it
was just a broadcast movie.
My one friend had a finished 
basement and his father had 
built a bar down there. Plus, 
it was air-conditioned. We
never touched the bar, I 
admit to that fair and square, 
but we watched movies down 
there sometimes, and listened 
to lots of LP's, in the times I 
was around).  I think he used
to maybe rent or buy films
and just play them onto a film
screen, from a movie projector.
He was really big on this crazy
movie called The Battle of
Culloden or something, about
Bonnie Prince Charles. I sat
through it 2 or 3 times, but had
no interest. He was, as it turned
out, and as I did not know, half
Scottish, even though he came
across as Italian, so I figured
that must have had something
to do with his interest in the film.
In that same basement too, one time
his brother, home from Vietnam,
was showing some home-movie
stuff of his camp and the country
there, and he'd shown the laundry
yard and clothesline area kept by
the Vietnamese lady who tended
to their camp needs, washing and
hanging laundry. In one scene was
the laundry yard, with clothes
hanging, and in the next scene it
was all obliterated, having just
gotten blown to smithereens. 
Another time, after his prodding, he
and I went into the city (NY) to see
some Napoleon bio-pic by someone,
at a cinema in the village. I didn't
know what to expect, but I went
along. All those epics and military
things actually bored me stiff, as
I never understood the issues nor
any of the concerns these guys
always professed, all that rank 
and honor and duty and dying 
for the cause crap. This turned 
out to be a really dismal surprise, 
but again I withstood it. The 
stupid screening room was 
about 10x12 feet, (Jeepers
his basement area was bigger!) 
and  the place had like 5 wooden 
folding chairs, AND the damned 
epic turned out to be over FOUR
hours long! I forget if there was
a break, or even a bathroom or
snack, but, the rigors of it didn't
kill me, I guess. What burned 
me up was that it a mere 2 
blocks and one over from the
Studio School. I should have
just walked over there and let
him have his damned movie.
In the dark he'd probably never
have even noticed my absence.
-
So, when you don't carp and
complain, when you don't duck
and bail, there's not much else
you can do but go along. I
wondered how many of the
'greats' of history would have
been great if they never had
opened their mouths back at
someone first. Or, as my
father would say, 'Geewillickers!
You have to sometimes throw
the first stone!' (Whatever was
with that 'geewillickers' thing,
from his mouth, I never got. It
never sounded like him at all.)
-
One thing that used to bug me,
and it was a pretty simple kid's
miscalculation of what geographic
boundaries were, I guess, was, in
Avenel, there were no cemeteries.
Everywhere I used to go, there'd
be these old village sites and
center squares and stuff, ringed
with a nice church or two; all
traditional, with steeples and
bells, etc., and at the side or at
the rear, or across the road, there
would be groupings of old 
headstones  -  the old families
and names. Stuff the little place
was proud of or fond of. Yes,
Avenel seemed to have the
churches. But that was all.
There was no  real 'town-center'
connection to anything, no
lore or locus, or place from
which this 'Avenel' was 
sourced. If there wasn't any
of that  -  which there wasn't  -  
not even a dead spike in the 
middle of the place, you can't
you can't have a founding myth, 
a leading story that carries the 
place along. We never had any of
that, and nowhere to where we
could turn for it. It was like our
 'gift' was in growing up rootless.
They just handed us a nowhere
place and said, 'Here.' I guess
the closest thing was maybe 
the White Church and the old
Dunham thing at the Episcopal 
Church,  Woodbridge way. But the 
White Church had been done up to
look like a toy bride, and no one, 
frankly, ever even mentioned the 
other place. It used to bug me.
And as I said, everywhere
else had something. It just
seemed wrong, especially 
when the occasional person 
would start lip-synching 
that BS tune about what 
a wonderful, small-town 
place it was. B as in Baloney.
-
Even Jack the Ripper had been
buried somewhere; and even
I'd bet John the Baptist's head,
if not re-united with his body
for burial, had gotten buried
somewhere. We got nothing.
Not even a notion of graves
down amidst the swamp-gas
and Nature-Preserve crap
that gets peddled. Not even 
an Indian burial ground 
underneath some oil-storage
tanks. It never seemed right
to me. I tell you, I lost all
respect. For right-liars, and
for wrong-liars too.
-
Another thing to mention: 
As I was growing up, green
was just a color. We never
had much thought about that
'eco' stuff like now. Long about
1958, the town of Woodbridge
changed the garbage pickup
to where people had to separate
the paper stuff from the metal;
two separate cans, all loose inside,
that didn't matter. The garbage
crews (that used to walk along
the sides of the truck, and handle
each can) would just heave your
junk into the back of the truck
and crush it. Separate collections,
two different days a week. Oddly
enough, that only lasted probably
for less than a year  -  and then
the whole idea was done away
and forgotten. Everything went
understated, and stayed quiet.
Now, by contrast, every blat
is about eco-this and eco-that,
recycling, and the rest. And the
towns and all, doing it, are the
worst offenders of all time  -
no regard for the planet or the
waters or the well-being of the
people living here. Just 
developing the place to its 
own green and nasty death. 
Arriverderci Homa. 
Forget Roma.




No comments: