Friday, September 14, 2018

11,155. RUDIMENTS, pt. 439

RUDIMENTS, pt. 439
(avenel within infinite space)
My first memory of the seminary,
and this has always stayed with
me because it was so incongruous,
was of a table with 5 or 6 'Seniors',
what we called the 4th-year guys,
sitting around arguing about the
'infinite stretch of parallel lines.'
I was a brand-new fresh faced
and newly arrived kid of 12, 
soon to be 13 at the end of that
September. I was fearsomely
nervous, in awe of the place 
and people I'd landed amidst. I
was just beginning a brand-new
life away from home, for what 
I thought would be forever. 
Every step I took was new, and
no matter what else, I looked up
to all these guys who'd been there
and through all this before me.
I had no idea what to expect, 
nor was I used to wearing 
'dress' clothes, suits and jackets,
and ties. Leather shoes. I didn't
even want to be wearing them! All
these things had been stipulated,
as were the rigors of the everyday
schedule and expectation. Right
off, from day one, it seemed
more like a British boarding
school than anything else.
-
I had no idea who these guys
were, nor what they were 
debating about; not exactly 
arguing, even though, for 
such a silly and conceptual 
idea, they were each way 
into it. The idea was (and it
too seemed totally stupid, 
since their reach and their
gesticulations were only
of perhaps six-feet into the
'real'). The idea was how
two parallel lines, ideal and
parallel, (to us) - thus the 
human-sized arm-span I 
mentioned  -  if they were
extended infinitely into
space, would (or would not)
eventually meet anyway.
The factor they were dealing 
with somehow was of the 
'curvature' of space, and of 
the entire natural world. The
working point was, as I there
perceived it, a two-fold one.
Firstly, no matter how 'perfect'
the parallel at our level of
viewing it, it was imperfect
in some way and that 
imperceptible-to-us flaw
would make them eventually
meet. Secondly, the curvature
of space, to their minds, would
cause the lines to meet. Heck,
all I wanted to do was eat  -  it
was the dining hall after all.
This is what they sat there to
talk about? It seemed already to
be as if a set-up for some doctrine 
of crummy faith about how we
can never meet the 'ideal' as
the fallen, Earth-bounds we are.
These guys were off on some
tangent which I could only hope
was not to be a foretelling of my
next four years. The scurvy of
Catholic Doctrine had already
reared its foolish head once or
twice : crucifixes hung everywhere,
there was constant drone-buzz
from out of the chapel area, 
candle-smoke smells permeated 
that entire zone. Outside the 
windows, rows of green peppers 
were growing. (We'd leased 
some of the fields, I'd learn, to
Campbell Soup, from Camden).
That, at the least, I knew was real.
The peppers brought me back to
reality. Flatbed trucks of Camden
black people, rack-body trucks
of day workers, they'd all get
brought in, with their wicker and
straw baskets, hand-picking peppers
and other vegetables. It was pretty
cool. Of course I'd seen farm-field
workers before, in Avenel at the
prison fields at my house  -  but 
they were criminals and hardened 
guys on tractors, working, and being
watched by rifle-toting guards and
line-men. This was different; some
of these girls I found downright
pretty, wearing little kerchiefs 
and ties in their hair, some would 
hum or sing as they worked along, 
seldom looking up, any of them. 
The August and September 
sweats rolled off  the men's 
brows, or they'd mop their heads
with their handkerchiefs. The 
ladies seemed never to sweat. 
I wondered if they'd maybe 
sweat in infinity. Their infinity? 
Or was it all ours, as one? 
One efficient, natural God
for everyone? Would these 
parallel lines, I mused, 
ever meet?
-
I knew right away I was mixed
into something strange. Partially
exotic, and partially just plain
arousing, these folks kept me
occupied. Jeans and dungarees
not yet being the thing, mostly
the ladies wore what were called,
I think, 'shifts'  -  just loose, flat
and unadorned, dresses, to work 
in. Knowing little else, they looked
kind of hot as I watched them 
work. It was a strange dividing
line already : seminary boy, now
peering out from a secluded and
isolated world, seeing these farm 
workers. Bad thoughts, was it?
Who knew. I took better moment
from 40 seconds of peering out
than I ever did from wondering
about imaginary lines meeting 
in an imaginary place somewhere
far outside an imaginary universe.
Was this, already, what this
religion stuff was going to be
about? Hypothetical, conditional,
and all made-up. I'd just learned
to row, and my boat was
already sinking.
-
Believe it or not, I had, like 
everyone else, a 'Spiritual 
Director,' and a 'Vocational 
Director.' I don't recall right
now who was who, but one
was a pipe-smoking guy and
the other wasn't. I think it was
Father Carlton Brick, as one,
(cool name), and the other was
Father Jude. I forget last name
on that one, and am not even
sure I'm correct. They were
both cranky and prying. You
were supposed to go see them
and talk about stuff like this, but
what was I going to say? 'Um,
Father, the pepper girls are 
getting me all hot and bothered.
I think I'd rather be with them,
and  -  actually, I don't much care
about infinity, or lines, or even
whether, like souls, they meet up
somewhere. And, ah, I just got
started here and it's already turning
into a real boner for me, oh, sorry,
I mean problem. Not knowing what
to do, have I lost my vocation?
Should I take a vacation?'
-
These Catholic guys were all 
big on 'protecting' your calling 
from God to be one his special 
lance-men. It was called a 
'vocation,' and they  played it 
up as an extra-special calling 
from God, not to be ignored
or refused. Word was, if you 
screwed it up it was big-time 
Hell for you forever. They 
never told you the slime
that went with it  -  chasing
little boys or, even, little girls, 
no matter at that point. Sleeping 
with parishioners' wives, that 
often went with it too. By 
1967, one full fifth of these 
guys had bailed anyway,
left their own priest jobs, 
got married, or took off 
with boyfriends. I just used
to say, 'What the hell is this?...'
-
Every so often, I'd take a bus
ride back home, to Avenel,
for Christmas a few days, 
or Easter. It was crummy, but
travelling alone was fun. The
bus would run through all those
little towns on the way out of
Blackwood, I guess out to the
Turnpike, at exit three, and
take the road up. That part
was pretty boring, but the
little towns along the way 
first, they were cool. I'd see 
the lights, and the stores, 
houses, and, most importantly 
to me, people. I found I loved
people, to talk with, simple
hellos and all, to watch them
in their walks and ways. The
things they did, how they 
carried themselves, and 
precisely what they looked 
like. I kept an artist's eye out
for all that. And to heck with
the priest stuff; I loved seeing
girls. At least once that was
admitted to, and out of the way,
it was all clearer and I knew 
where I stood, so to speak.
My infinite parallels had
finally met. Hello, Avenel,
it's nice to be home, even
if for but a few days?

No comments: