Tuesday, September 4, 2018

11,131. ATHENIANS

ATHENIANS
Please compose yourself and
sanctify some decorum. Stop
sitting around these hills and
fountains. Your latest declarations
exclaim nothing, yet anger the
wrath of others. Shall we then
proceed  -  sword folly, or any
other secret weapons? Whichever
you choose we will double the
ire. Oh yes, and I am serious.
-
Sitting here at table 10 in the
'House of Melissa's Dream,'
a meager, eastern-style'd cafe 
near 23rd, I reach nirvana in
a daydream. Her name may be
Carlotta, or, perhaps, in some
other language, Jezebel. It
little matters. My nirvana is
a poor man's dream of more.
-
Those ships, those ships, are 
they advancing this harbor anew?
Are those lowering clouds taking
some ominous shape? Will this
very land beneath us drop down
again? I will declare, oh Athens,
I would be lost without you.
-
Well to that I say OK. She once
again approaches my table. Never
sneering, yet always lethal. Iodine
eyes, and noxious fumes for a heart.

No comments: