Saturday, September 1, 2018

11,125. RUDIMENTS, pt. 426

RUDIMENTS, pt. 426
(avenel 'training' lessons)
I always thought to myself
that a megaphone was not
needed. The messages to me
were as clear as a bell, and
they came through well. If
I was alone in the world, the
world would have been ideal.
-
On the other hand, the world
was found to be a very crowded
place. Therein was my conflict.
My piano teacher, the last one,
the guy I started up with again
after the train wreck years, was
a strange enough fellow, a cigar
smoking, and chomping, tax 
person or something, in his 
office-garage, at the rear of 821
Ridgedale Ave., in Woodbridge, 
at the corner of Lockwood. 
There was a piano in there, 
and he also had a little band
of his own  -  which played at
local church and Elks Hall 
and such, dances. Everything
was yellowed with cigar smoke,
and it all stank too. Even the
white ivory piano keys had 
been yellowed. Whatever 
and be that as it may  - back 
then, men smoked. Nobody 
cared. A doctor could be
delivering a baby, and have 
a cigarette dangling out his
mouth. This piano guy had
converted this nice red-brick
garage into both a work-office
for himself, and a piano studio
of sorts for his practice and the
giving of lessons.
-
I'd go in there, after having
bicycled myself over to the 
lesson, up that little hill, etc.,
turning up Lockwood, off 
Rahway Avenue and the tracks,
past the stone-throwers too,
and we'd talk a little; he'd play
some (he was really good, of 
course, as an instructor should 
be). I'd sit back, and he'd play
my practice piece from the last
week, and then I'd play it back.
A pale second, to be sure. Then
he'd sit next to me, on the
piano bench, and walk me
through it, slowly and again.
Little comment, if any at all.
The thing that had always
irked me  -  and still does  - 
was that after all these piano 
lessons over the years, (and I
went through 3 piano teachers,
all local people), all I ever got
was the equivalent, really, of
rote ABC learning. I found that
especially glaring as a lack. I'd
wished for explanations, music
theory, classical histories, the
way sounds have been developed,
the long and varied schools of
music and movements, composers,
all that. All it seemed I ever got
was to play another 'Fur Elise' or
'Happy Wanderer' or 'Indian Love 
Call.' No one ever talked anything
sensible; it was all and always like
the same happy-talk crap you could
find anywhere, and not even about
music. That drove me mad. I was
in a position to probably talk these
teachers down into headlocks about
things more then they ever could 
me. Fact of the matter was (and 
this was so indicative, to me, of 
all else in Woodbridge and Avenel),
they were as dull as bricks, (thick
too, I guess). There were so many
chances for, and places where, any
good conservatory instructor would
have gloried in my interest  -  like,
for instance, in 'Indian Love Call'
there was a solid, heavy use of 'A'
and 'E' as the basis for the repetitive
tribal dance feel of the piece. I
had a curiosity towards that pattern
and sequence of notes, what else
could be done with them, where does
a slide into 'D' perhaps enter in?
How, historically, had they been
used together, etc. As simple as
even that was, as questioning for
music preliminaries, the approach
was never offered me. This guy 
was just a dance-band bonhomie
guy; nothing in common with me.
-
So, once again, I'd hang my head
in dejection and stumble away from
all these things. It always seemed
like my life was paltry; dead-poor,
sated only with uselessness and
the empty pockets of a pauper
really, really, wanting more. How
could there even be a God, I'd
often ask myself, if He couldn't
even get this most simple stuff
right in the case of me. All this
trouble of making thoughtful
creatures, and then just throwing
them to the wolves. 
-
I was pretty miserable and only 
had myself as my own way out.
Everything and everyone else
around seemed the same copy of
one another, thousands of times.
What else could one possibly glean
from seeing 70 acres of grounds,
for instance, on Rahway Ave.,
over, across the road, all fenced
and laced, so morons could hit
golf balls into netting, or better
yet, bean the nutcase out there
on a tractor with a shield on it,
collecting golf balls. Talk about
'new math,' as everyone always
did, these numbers added up to
stupidity multiplied by ignorance;
and apparently I'd gotten the 
Edgar Hill door prize by 
contracting with a piano teacher 
who mostly did nothing of merit.
-
Those were crazy years, whichever
ones they were  -  I can't even really
recall : I guess 1959, 1960, around
there. Mostly I went by the styles
of cars, but in this case I can't
remember what anyone was
driving. Mr. Novak, the piano
teacher, I can't recall, but he
had a more expensive car than 
ours. Maybe a Buick. My father,
as I may recall, was tooling around
in a '56 Ford station wagon. The
next car was a 1960 Chevy wagon,
but that was like 1962 or 1963;
hard to say. It all gets jumbled up
in my home-life brain, especially
fresh like that after the train wreck.
I want to say that the last thing 
on my mind was to start up again
with piano lessons, but that can't
have been the case, because I did
it apparently willingly, and it took
work, bicycling myself there weekly,
and back. (I knew damn well I
wasn't about to get in any piano
lesson bound, or back, car with
my mother again. And those same
tracks still loomed at me  -  as I'd
cross them  -  weekly, twice).
-
I think I was maybe born out of
place and time. Or at least I was
after the train wreck, when I sort of
re-arrived in the same places as
before, except again they all seemed
different. The best location I'd found,
after those years, was the Woodbridge
Library when it was down along
Rahway Avenue, towards Woodbridge
just after the driving range grounds.
It had been a hardware and building
supplies kind of place, called
'Home Center.' Then, when they
folded, the town picked it up for a
stop-gap version of a library while
they figured out their plans and
funding gimmicks for the new heap
they finally built in the 1970's, by the
high school. About 1972, it opened.
Anyway, the one down at the old Home
Center was really cool. (Now it's
some cheesy banquet hall named
'Ariana's' - noisy and foul). It was 
kind of warehouse-like; open and
airy, one big space. Shelves and
books, of course, were jammed in,
along with reading tables and study
spaces. The rear area was periodicals,
and the the center and front was the
reference desk and book-check-out
desk. To me it was unique and grand,
and I spent a lot of that Winter in
there, at night. I even met my
girlfriend in there  - one night she
just followed me home, as I'd walk
there. I finally, after having seen her
a few times, turned around once and
just said, 'Hey, what's up?' And we
walked. But anyway, in that place
someone was always trying to help me;
all these lady librarians, I mean.
I'd take out art books, or ask for
philosophy titles and all that stupid
crud, and they'd start blabbing to me
like lonely-hearts about how they'd
always loved art themselves, or wished 
they'd moved to France and married
an existentialist  -  yeah, stupid stuff
like that, crazy as all get out. One lady
got sweet with me, over art, and said
she too painted, blah, blah, and then
she told me (and this has always stayed
with me) that when she painted  -  and
it was a lesson she revered  -  she always
first put newsprint or paper, collage like,
down on the canvas, and then painted 
on that. That way, she said, no matter
what you did paint, all the open areas
and space would still have something
going on in them (the newsprint), and
that was always a good thing to her.
I never tried it, never even much
thought about it actually. When I
was 17, all these ladies were already
40 or so. I'm guessing they're (sadly)
all dead now. Boy, life sucks.













No comments: