Sunday, September 16, 2018

11,162. RUDIMENTS, pt. 442

RUDIMENTS, pt. 442
(the avenel Haplings)
In the name of an
imaginary world, I'd
always kept another
family going -  called
the 'Haplings.' It was
my own (artistic) form
of a free-association
from or with which to
structure and build
things better suited to
and for myself. In its
way it was always my
alternate reality : In the
same way a drunkard
has his wine, and the
bum in the gutter has
booze, I always had
the Haplings to turn
to, to explain things
to, to shed some light
about myself with. You
have to realize how
burned I was, honestly.
My specific version of
religion had turned me
over from a bitter form
dwelling in Crankville
and ended me up on the
somewhere equivalent of
the moon. There were some
words, just the words, that
would drive me crazy :
Monstrance. Ciborum.
Tabernacle. Confiteor.
Vestry. Chasuble. Paten.
Celebrant....'Ite, Missa Est.'
('Go. It is over').
-
I can never rightly remember
if I took the Haplings with me
to the seminary or if I'd had
them from before  -  some
post-train-accident semblance
of reconstructive surgery on
my part. (I always thought,
as well, that that could be a
really cool new name for a
cereal : Post-Train-Accidents,
little crunched-up and mis-formed
oat-things, autos and locomotives.
A real sugary treat. A kick.)
Anyway, I had to find a means
of straightening myself out,
and these Haplings worked
out just fine. Funny, some
years later, my son had an
imaginary (2 actually)
playmate(s)  -  Shapron, and
Heckron. For years Shapron
went everywhere with us. He
was later superseded by
Heckron, whose auxiliary
role then became prime.
In all, after that, I don't know
what became of any of them.
Dutifully retired, I guess; but,
isn't that so indicative, my
Haplings, and his two guys
too, of the weird physic
playground we each inhabit.
Singly, at first, and then later
as community, society, and
nation. It's all very bizarre,
and yet it runs everywhere,
flavoring all we thing and do.
Imaginary dotings of very
active minds, making, and
then insisting, on realities.
I could have been a grade-A
psychiatrist with this stuff.
I always figured, in essence,
someone has to HOLD the
Bible while someone else
is reading it. Hello, Godron.
Can you hear me now?
-
I mowed down so many ideas
in my life it's ridiculous. No
one ever really 'got' me, saw
what I was about. Some came
closer than others, but all were
off the mark. One time, my
father came home all excited,
saying he'd set me up to be this
guy's gardener  -  got me a deal,
for like 80 bucks a month (this
was maybe Summer, '79, if I
had to guess). Just getting my
feet settled back in 'Joisey'  - 
house, job going OK (St.
George Press), etc. His idea
was for me to tend this guy's
yard  -  mower, trimming,
cultivation, Fall clean-up, all
that. He figured I could get a
small truck, a mower or two,
rakes, etc., and start rolling
on this lawn and garden
kingdom of a small business.
My father was very much like
that  -  he figured since he did
and liked something (bizarre,
religious-like lawn and garden
care fetishes) everyone else
should too. I was the complete
opposite, and just had to
immediately tell him (in
my best joisey-ese?) to
'fugheddaboutit!' or however
that goes. What it meant,
of course was just another
round of the same anger and
hurt that he projected onto
himself, feeling it directed
from me simply to pain him.
It was all so Avenel in its
basic incidentals : The endless
generational quarry of all that
avenging of imagined slights.
I hate(d) mowing, trimming,
cutting, neatness, and the rest.
'Dad.' There's just nothing there
for me and the last thing I wish
for it to become the subservient
of someone who will demand
perfect upkeep, trim, and cutting.
It was like, 'Jesus, dad, don't
you get this?' He'd just enrolled
me in slavery school, and I
forced my way out of it very
quickly. I never did find out
who or what took care of this
guy's yard, that season or
any other, but let's just
say 'it weren't me.'
-
So, yeah, the Haplings and
I had a big discussion over
this matter, down in the woods
at the end of Inman. We put out
a few tree stumps and just sat
around jawing over this... My
father didn't attend. The point
was that there already were
enough lower-niche small
business run-arounds locally  -
that meant Rahway and the
rest too  -  scrap yards, metal
salvage, junkmen, sword and
knife sharpeners, that no one
needed me around. And anyway,
(these Haplings had a gift too,
of being able to see the future,
from wherever they were), and
they said that in 25 or so years
time there'd be an entire race
of service-people, grunts, as it
were, legal or not, from Mexico,
Central and South America, etc.,
who by then have willingly 
taken over all those service type
industries  -  gardeners, trimmers,
landscapers, cooks, waiters,
bottle washers, and they'd do
the same work willingly and
cheaply too  -  AND  -  illegal
or not, the entire country would
look the other way and let it go.
So, we all decided, simply, who
needed me getting messed up
with any of that? I agreed.
-
Well, all that time has passed
now, and we've let all that occur.
The white guys, even the white
landscaper guys, they might still
be around  -  crew chiefs and
foreman and all, but they don't
life a finger, except for the
paperwork end of it. Payroll.
Concealing payouts. Business
owners paying in cash, letting
the illegals pretty much fend
for themselves, as and if they
will. As long as they agree to 
continue to do the grunt 
work. Yes, we did have a 
Civil War, once, over slavery, 
and 620,000+ soldiers died,
and that doesn't count the 
dead civilians! But we've 
re-instituted slavery now 
because no one really wants 
to do the grind-work, and 
we've got a new slave-race 
to do it for us. Pretty cool!
-
You know, I work hard at 
this writing, every day, even
when I'm elsewhere. In every
place I go, I still see glimmers
of the past  -  my own 
recognizable past  -  and
that's all it takes to get me
rolling on an idea. Today I 
was over at the corner of 
Leesville and Hazelwood
Avenues, at the mid-tide
Rahway River -   decent
height and depth, running 
nicely, the river  -  and there
were 6 or so black people
fishing. Right there, off
the stones and abutments.
A few young kids too. This
isn't right-people stuff at all;
in fact it's poor. When I was
a kid, that entire area was,
one after another, bungalow 
homes near to the water's edge,
amidst wooded areas, trees,
old crappy yards with '52 
Chevies and old 1950's 
Mercuries and Buicks, on
blocks, getting worked on, 
or being picked over for parts
and the rest. People would be
sitting on their clumpy old
porches, waving at us bicycle
kids. Fishing WITH us. The 
very same sorts of people I saw 
fishing today were the 'happy 
and the contented' southern
blacks of old 1950's riverside
Rahway. And that's not being
racist; that's just real. It's
all been taken away. The
people lost it all and were put,
instead, in one or the other of
the two large project-towers that
went up there in the mid 1960's.
Everybody changed too  -  they
all became angered and cranky,
having lost all contentment.
Their large Mason Hall and
Lodge and picnic grounds too
is gone  -  rows of assisted
subsidized housing is there
now and  -  of course  -  a loud
and gaudy evangelical center.
everything's ruined in the 'name'
of the white-man-politician's
edicts for improvement. it
still goes on, and people are
still angry. Ignorant whites,
lording it over others. In the
same manner of thought as
my father  -  if he/they like
it, everyone else better too.
I'm gonna' ask the Haplings 
about that and I'll report back.
Ite, missa est.


No comments: