Tuesday, September 4, 2018

11,132. RUDIMENTS, pt. 429

RUDIMENTS, pt. 429
(avenel hits the big city, pt. one)
One time I got hit by a
car, slightly, at the top
of the underpass, coming
up that side on the right,
NOT the sidewalk side,
headed towards Rahway
Ave. The other guy driving
was veering in, like where
to Mike's Sub Shop was,
from the other direction,
crossing over the lane
from in front of the
Roxbury, and there
wasn't much I could do
in that few seconds of
response time. He was
headed right at me, so
I bailed, the bike went
flying into his car, and
I got tangled around
on the ground. He stopped,
started wailing about it all,
and drove me home with
the bent bike in the trunk.
The next few days were
miserable, as my ankles
and feet got real sore, and
swelled up, and my wrist,
where I landed on it, did
too. At first I thought it
was broken, but I guess it
wasn't. I was OK, though  -
hadn't smacked my head
or anything  -  long before
ideas like helmets took
hold. Two things I never
took to were helmets and
seat belts. This guy, a young
driver, kid, of about maybe
20 or 21, some big-deal
student type somewhere,
came every evening to sit
next to my bed, during the
10 or so days I 'recuperated.'
He was a nervous, skinny
wreck, thinking I was going
to die or something. The first
visit-night he brought his father
with him, and the parents all
worked it out, whatever they
worked out. I never heard any
more, but all this kid did was
sit there and stare at me, each
night, for about two hours. Not
even small-talk or cool stuff
about anything. You'd think he
wanted to talk about something, 
anything. But, nope; he just sat
there, near to crying. And
then one day, no more him.
I guess his vigil time was over.
I figure that was late Summer
'66. My parents got all mad
at me, saying I was too old
for a bicycle anyway
and should start driving
a car. I didn't do that,
since I knew, in time, I'd
be city-bound on all that.
Last thing I cared about
was driving right then.
At my friend's Bill Zellner's
house, one day they had
an old French 6-speed
Gitane or Motobecane
or something, out on
the curb, for trash. I took
it. The derailleur was all
smashed and broken, for
for shifting and all, but
I made a decent one-speed
out of it, and a year later,
after I'd left to NYC and
finally found the apartment
at 509 e11th, and my father
and sister came in with
my few boxes of  personal
junk, they also brought
that bicycle  -   so then I
had real wheels with which
to get around! It was the
bike I used for all those
overnight and late night
forays around the city,
up to the UN, the music
club up there where I sat
in on drums for the 'Fallen
Angels' that one night
(written of elsewhere in
a way-earlier chapter),
and all over the westside
piers and wharves, you may
recall too, with Judy, my
friend from the Studio
School. We would endlessly
just mosey around, on
two bicycles, seeing all
of post-midnight New York
- which was when all the cool
stuff and the 'weirds' all come
out to play. (That's 'weirds,'
like 'spiritual demons of the
night'  -  Not weirdos). Judy
was pretty cool, a year or two
older than me, and well-traveled,
unlike me : all that Paris and
London stuff under her belt, a
regular world-class art type. In
fact, right now, with a different
last name from when I knew her,
she's a big-deal gallery-level
artist, fist-cups of money from
it all. She always made fun of
me for being 'provincial.' Of
course, that was Euro-talk too
for her, because we don't really
have 'provinces' here. But when
I'd go back to NJ for something,
or take a weekend and go out
to Hacklebarney or somewhere,
she'd always berate me for dealing
again with the 'provinces.' 'Why
do you like the provinces?' she'd
say. Funny thing was, during the
time I knew her she'd Summer 
a few weeks each year at a then
famous art-camp, named 'Skohegan,' 
up in Maine. Talk about provinces!
-
My father always came across as
Mr. Avenel : stern and cross, as
straight as they come, by the book
stuff. There wasn't anything that
could slide by him. One day, after
I'd gotten my apartment at 509
e11th, he and my little sister, came
in, by car, with those few boxes
of my stuff, packed from home,
and along with them, in the car,
was that bicycle, which is how 
it got to me. That was to be a 
good thing. But, first  -  upstairs 
from my little tenement apartment 
lived two major hippie types, a 
young couple from somewhere 
far off : Billie-Joe and Holly. Each
of them, separate and as a pair,
both, were perfect, poster-child
hippies. They could have made
the cover of Life Magazine and
sold a billion copies  -  just for,
imagistically, what they seemed
to represent. Billie-Joe looked
like Buffalo Bill or Wild Bill
Hickok  -  one of those western
show guys. Long silky hair, worn
buckskin vests, boots, leather
stuff, and a large, western hat.
Hollie was the prototype, the
beauteous hippie babe  -  loose,
happy, skin showing everywhere,
bands and ribbons, flowers tied
into her hair, flowing hippie-girl
clothes and underneath it all be
damned. My teeth ached for her.
The two of them, together, came,
off, as I said, perfectly. Billie-Joe 
wasn't large, or tall either, but 
it all worked. Their biggest life
endeavor was smoking pot. I
knew about that, but anything 
past that  -  hallucinogens or
whatever  -  I didn't know. My
hands were full enough with my
own pharmaceutical magnate
Andy Bonamo, sharing the 
apartment with me. He was
running a veritable drug fair,
supplying the neighborhood and
streets around like a warehouse
and, in fact, he'd beaten both
Drug Fair and Rite Aid and
anything else, to the punch.
He was them before they even
had thought of being themselves.
It was, generally, that kind of 
world. The two of them, once
my father arrived, sized him
up immediately. Clowns that
they were, they went back 
upstairs and concocted their
scheme of the day. They were
going to stage a fake drug buy,
in the presence of my father.
It included a small bag of pot
for Dad to purchase, plus a
lit, already smoldering, joint
for his free toking. All this 
frolic went down around the
presence, as well, of my poor 
little 10 or 11 year old sister
Andrea. I don't know what she
got from it, aware or not. Well,
that was, of course, all my
Mr. Avenel-muscle dad needed.
He went ballistic, and thankfully
the actual pharmacy-master Andy
Bonamo never showed up, because
I'm sure he'd have been dead. 
My father took the whole thing 
fiery-serious, and even accused 
me of having turned fiendish 
enough to do 'this stuff!' Hollie
and Billie-Joe quickly retreated.
I finally calmed my father down,
sort of explained the asshole factor
to him, which was quite high
in those parts, and managed to 
both survive and sedate him. 
Every so often, even years later,
he'd still bring this up to me,
asking if I remembered that day,
and what exactly had been the
sequence of what went on.
-
As wonderful as that bicycle
was, and as much use as I
gave it, from my plenitude of
my poverty, it didn't last. After 
I'd left the apartment myself
because of just too much crap
and over-my-head serious stuff
taking place, 509 was raided 
and police-taped by NY's 
finest, 1968 version anyway. 
I lost everything there, bicycle
and all else. Why I'd parked it
there, that time, I never know. 
I'd moved, by this moment, 
into the basement of the 
Studio School, thankfully, and 
with due caution,  saving myself 
and my Avenel  innocence, from 
this scathing scrape.
-
I also lost my cat, Blake, which
I'd given over to two girls on
Avenue A to hold for me. They
too were gone, as was Blake. 
Somewhere there must be a
1968 police blotter with all
the names and info of this
infamous date. The place's
criminology had started to 
get too deep for my taste,
and I'm glad I squirreled
myself away, though I still 
miss what I lost.
-
None of this, not any of it.
remember, had been in my 
original equation, a mere year
and some earlier. That poor
nervous fellow had my bedside,
expecting my death any moment,
had he only known what was to
soon be. Hello big city, it's me!







No comments: