Friday, September 19, 2014

5923. LET'S PUT OUR FINGER ON SOMETHING

LET'S PUT OUR 
FINGER ON 
SOMETHING
(traveling in time)
She's the sort of girl they nab in the department store
for taking a scarf or a wallet  -  something stupid and
whimsical too. She doesn't need either, already having 
a hundred. Claiming an ancient lineage from a Baroness 
Von Schmenkenberg or something in Austria, two worlds
let her straddle them : like high, like low, all those riches 
go. It doesn't matter, and the words don't work : an alibi 
is just like any other lie only perhaps safer if it works.
-
They pimp her fondness for riches like they pimp a
nine-year old's eyes if they could : innocent and loving
all in one. What's the matter with anything here?
-
Baroness, I'm sitting in this stinking garret now, 
drawing lines on paper with pencil, just trying to 
make things work. You're out on the ledge pretending 
to die again. My stab at Existentialism has not worked. 
I'm blind again, and oh so stupid once more.
-
Look at that skylark : it rolled past the southern 
window just as you were pouring that drink. 
I swore I saw it stop and look. Birds don't do 
that, do they? I'm' trying here to put my
finger on something.

No comments: