Tuesday, September 16, 2014

5912. MY OCCASION

MY OCCASION
I am living in other times and places,
forgive me do. I can't sneeze without
breaking glass  -  not Harry Glass of
East Troy, Pennsylvania' not Seymour
Glass of those Glass family sagas of
J. D. Salinger himself. Just glass. The
silicate stuff. I have no other that I amass.
-
These little carriage houses behind homes
and living spaces  -  Washington Mews and
MacDougal Alley  -  these are where I began
my New York life. Not Pfaff's  -  too late for
that; too late for Marie's Crisis too.
-
Variations of the Virgin Mary still roil the
old church at Houston and Sullivan Streets.
The Shrine Church of St. Anthony of Padua  -
and isn't that such a mouthful to say? Since
1888, blowing its bellowing church-bell noise
at the seven o'clock hour. But why? What
more notice do we now need? Vendors and
their tables too exist under this most-banal,
old, genuflection.

No comments: