Monday, September 1, 2014

5861. HANDS CAN LUNGE AT HEARTS

HANDS CAN LUNGE AT HEARTS
I haven't felt right since about tenth grade. All that
English Lit. bullshit; I was Wordsworded to death
and it shows  :  reveries of this and that, elegies and
graveyards, serious and doleful answers to serious
and doleful things. Nothing ever lightened up  -  ever.
Even here, those Salem Witches and those Maypoles
of Merriment, things were kept solemn and sincere.
Crotchety old History teachers, crumbling away while
they spoke of doom and trouble; English teachers, stumbling
their words over lachrymose things. It only got worse after
that  -  the college folk demanded even less but spoke more.
All I had to do was listen and pretend. I learned the space 
between the words of meaning often meant more 
than the meanings themselves. 
-
Now, I sit, crocheting my headband with wondrous things
like butterfly wings. I decipher, reorganize and chant as I
move along my way. No nettlesome disclaimers needed :
Jezebel, I am not the one you noted. Hyman, I am truly
not your brother. Let me listen to the bells instead.

No comments: