Tuesday, September 2, 2014

5864. PURVIS, HERSHEY AND MULDOON

PURVIS, HERSHEY 
AND MULDOON
That's a made-up name for the law firm that set 
me free from the gallows. The lawyer was, actually,
very good. I had been sentenced to hang for stealing
dreams and images, and the cow-poke, gunslinger
sheriff was sure he had me cold. They'd double-tied
the note and just couldn't wait to get started.
-
The trial went quickly. I sat on a pail while they grilled
me, but I cut it short by confessing. Then the attorney 
jumped up and said 'he lies!' I started fearing for my 
life at that point, thinking it sounded too close for 
comfort to a 'here he lies', at my burial rite. The
closing arguments were boring and I fell asleep.
They led me, on my horse, to the edge of town
and said 'come back no more!'

No comments: