Monday, January 13, 2014

4920. ESTABLISHED

ESTABLISHED
It was said, in 1924, that the world ended,
and then it was repeated for 1932. Myself, I
never did any follow-up, and so what if it had.
All of that is too long off for me - now I only
look straight ahead. I want crackers, oh please,
with my lonely soup.
-
There's a neat reflection on this pane of glass
near where I'm sitting, with a spoon of silver
from a rich guy of old. It seems to show a rippling
world split into two, with cars in rotation both
coming and going, at the same time. How
different is that, really, anyway, I wonder.
-
This stuff shivers my head, breaks my heart,
sometimes in two - I myself don't know
whether I'm coming or I'm going. The place
I just left always seems right behind me, and
the place up ahead - like some Twilight Zone
chapter in marathon replay, in an effigy of
doubt and ridicule - seems farther and
farther off. Crackers, please, with
that lonely soup.

No comments: