Saturday, January 25, 2014

4973. GARY, YOU'RE GETTING THROUGH TO ME

GARY, YOU'RE GETTING 
THROUGH TO ME
With perspicuous Eddie Barron, I walked the Cumberland
Gap, writing songs -  all sorts of things, in 1910, about
Johnny Appleseed and Daniel Boone; people like that.
Lewis and Clark, in fact, held it all down, that old and
monstrous raging river, the typecast hats of the traveling
minstrels, all black-face and ranting and foul. How even
an old slave could stand that, I never knew. But that was
then, before the circus, and its animal crackers and animals
and crackers had gotten established. Everything wandered 
and passed through town. I knew how it was.
-
Then time passed, and I was settled in with some tenement
housing in a broadening east side flat  -  knowing no one, still
alone. I walked the brown and black rooftops, looking down
to things below, those funny girls dancing, the crazy religious
manias sweeping through cities, the recalcitrant sword-fighters
re-enacting Shakespearean scene. Down below, far, down
below, some hundred Italians, I saw, were carrying a
statue of a saint, covered in dollar bills.

No comments: