Thursday, January 2, 2014

4885. MAKE MINE DIFFERENTLY


MAKE MINE DIFFERENTLY
This turn here deserves another : the last time
I visited the place of the ruins, the old silk mills
were vacant, or being turned into other things. All
I had left was purple memory : the silk mill riots and
the Paterson police. They banged heads, long ago,
like the water that ran down the falls. My God,
how so far things have gone and changed.
Disappeared. 'Make mine over, easy,' 
said the diner to the cook. Though I
knew what he meant, talking eggs,
I took it just as much to be about
the disappearance of memories.
-
We all want them made over, easy.
On the tip-top tabletop someone had
spilled the salt and left open the cruet
filled with milk. Sad days, these are : 
outside, a cruel new year's wetness 
soaked this Mother Earth cold.

No comments: