Monday, January 13, 2014

4916. THE OLD OAKEN BUCKET

THE OLD OAKEN BUCKET
(tiny things I've learned)
And the water-wheel powder, and the causeway
rope and the hay-mow fork and the honey wagon.
Here; does anyway still know this stuff? I'm at a
loss for digging, myself. I'm standing next to Jaymo
the cow - we named her the merry-prankster like
that, she's a hoot - and her monstrous big eyes
are just staring. I think she knows all things, or
at least is on to something. There are snow geese
on the flyline, running their formation now along
the outer forty - a field I'm sure which will someday
be a parking lot like this barn will be a house. Isn't
that something sad, and I'm sure this Jaymo knows it.
Never knowing, never sure, that's my tagline : I'm a
comic character with one crooked leg and an arm for
a nose where character grows. Let me listen again
to the beat of your heart; it tells me so much about
you. A long time ago, in the 1940's (I saw in a photo)
this barn had a big painted ad on the side; really big.
Not for tobacco or razors or anything like that. For some
Dr. Barnhatch's Magic Elixir. Sounds fake, I know, but
I guess it was real. Claimed to 'Cure the Ague.' Even
that, I never knew. Some things remain a mystery I
guess. But not the future. But not the future for sure;
it shows shows up and happens, and will do what it do,
go where it chooses and do it to who. You can't stop
water much when it's running over the dam.

No comments: