Wednesday, January 8, 2014

4907. TARANTULA DIRECTIVES


TARANTULA DIRECTIVES

(a still life)
I knew Americo Taranto when he
was Superintendent of Schools for
Linden. Then later, I knew his son 
Frank; a teacher or something with
the school system too. I always liked 
how their name was a place - looked 
it up once : Taranto, Italy.
-
Shoe size means nothing when you're
out catching frogs. Sleepy-eyed is the
daughter of want. The kitchen kettle
is zooming in on the still-life of time,
and - not it seems - every strange 
artist wants in on the painting.
-
Dead rabbits hang from nails on the
knotty pine wall while, on the table top, 
arrayed, are two dead pheasants,
a bowl of dreadful looking fruit, a
field-bugle with a woven-thread 
strap, a foxer's cap, and a bowl
of truly destitute-looking flowers.
-
All at once, I want to sing away,
bursting my lungs in song 
and in reverie.

No comments: