Monday, July 25, 2022

14,448. HOW WE JUMP, AND WHY

HOW WE JUMP, AND WHY
(I only seek forgiveness)
Those rocks in the road, 
damn them, have wrecked 
my tires again: I'm stuck
in the same forlorn ditch. 
Best thing to say, in situations 
such as this? My  turn-signal 
works, but I'm not turning 
anywhere. Which way is up, 
my little darlin'?
-
I've heaved all the ballast that
one man can heave; junk's piled
everywhere pants-cuff to sleeve.
I'm wondering deadly with my
flashlight off. The darkness gets
worrisome, so I better not scoff.
-
'Just take yourself down to those
all-redeeming waters,' Padre Henson
says. He wants me to lie down in
green pastures  -  I think that's what
he says. I'm aging too well, far past
any purification; only seeking love
now, and affection  -  not altercation.
-
Take me to the river. Drop me in the water.

No comments: