Tuesday, July 5, 2022

14,406. BRAVERMAN THE OASIS

BRAVERMAN THE OASIS
At the Waverly House Hotel, in,
yes, Waverly NY, the red brick
outside wall is covered with an
old chewing tobacco ad  -  for
'Red Man' Chew, a once-steady
framer's blend of chaw. Baseball
player's too. I used to use it when
I plowed the fields and hayed the
Gustin Meadows, though it mostly
just wrecked my teeth; stupid stuff.
Raw, and coated with some form
of wicked sweetness, maybe a
molasses mixed in the curing.
-
It made one spit a lot, and by
necessity too. Big slurps of ugly
brown used to slap on the tractor;
never going too far, the spit, for
being so thick and heavy. Looking
back now? Quite disgusting, even
for 1972.
-
Then, later, when I began motorcycle
riding, big-time hordes, in packs,
I'd spit into the wind and the crap
would get all over the guys behind 
me. I heard about it lots, and that was
really gross. 'You sum'bitch, you catch me
with that shit again and you're doomed.'

No comments: