Tuesday, July 19, 2022

14,433.RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,284

14,433. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,284
(Small Block Power In a Big Block World)
I've never known much about
anything, and to paraphrase
Mark Twain about memories,
'What I didn't know I made up.'
It works for a long-term mix-up, 
swirling cool things up and then
altering and content. Yet, in my
own personal review, I'm amazed
at how factual I've been : how it's
all been true, and related to my
real-world experiences. I've had
segments of my life, almost by
decades, that so differed from
each other and were so varied.
Some of it here (though, apparently,
I too am running out of time. 
Thanks, Doc), can be laid out
on paper in the most perfect
fashion, and each has its own 
memories that alight from the
page, pick up their instruments,
and strike up the band! The old
1960's meld right into the old
1970's, and with as much fidelity
as Christmas Carols to the stories
they relate. The 1980's and my
'career' days; the 1990's and past,
right into my most noxious Biker
days  -  tales I've hardly yet even
touched. I took a left turn, I took
a right turn, the road that got me
got me to here. 'Nuff said. Not
quite dead. Yet.
-
My first car, I guess it was back
about Winter '69, was a freebie.
Some guy on Avenel Street, at
about #90 or 92, as I recall, had
an old Renault out front with a
note on the windshield for the
junkyard wrecker guy who was
coming to take it away. It was a
cold late January. I used to walk
a lot whenever I was back to
Avenel (I'd tried to compare 
notes, in my head, about how
weird it was when I'd flip-flop
on a weekend, from NYC to
Avenel, to see a girlfriend there;
the enormous differences were
baffling to me, and it got me
into the mental situation of then
thinking of Avenel as a little, 
Dutch, settlement (all those 
pointed duplexes along lower 
Avenel Street resembling, to
me, Holland), whereas, actually,
the big Dutch settlement I was
actually living in, was NYC
itself. Pretty strange; 1640 to
1960, etc. - A real parade!).
-
So, anyway, I stopped at the
guy's house and walked up his
front steps, rang the bell, and 
simply said 'Hey, if you're 
junking that car I'll gladly 
take it.' He said 'Sure, it's yours;
saves me the trouble.' He gave
me the title, and I walked the rest
of the way home (to Inman, at
my weekend-parents' house where
I'd been raised). I forget how, but
I got it to the house later. I tinkered
with it some and, like the guy had
said, it needed a timing gear. Now,
let me explain about old Renaults,
which I think, in French, probably
translates back into 'piece du merde'
or, as we'd probably put it, 'piece
of shit.' Unlike an American car
of those days (this was the Dauphin
and 4CV Renault days), the 'timing
gear' here was just that. Not a chain;
just a fiber-gear that ran, at the very
front of the engine, under a cover,
between the crankshaft and the
valves at top. Chandler Motors, in
Linden, on St. George Ave., was
a 1960's Renault dealer too. They
had the needed part  -  a 12 dollar
fiber gear  -  the one in the car itself
had, because of the fiber, worn down
the gear's teeth. It turned out to be
magically simple, for me, and turned
me immediately (in my own dumb
head) into a 'Master-Mechanic' (of
nothing). Anyway, the car worked,
and I got a solid year and a half out
of it, and probably 10,000 more miles.
-
The two things about the car  -  and I
drove it everywhere, from Nyack to
Saugerties to NYC to Philadelphia  -
(three if you wish to count the 40 miles
per gallon gas), were that 1. It had both
a 'city horn' and a 'country horn,' which
I thought was pretty cool The city horn,
of course, was the loud one, and the
country horn was more of soft and 
gentle purr, signifying a beep. And, 
2. the other thing, which I just lived 
with, was that certain sorts of bumps or
rough road would pop the transmission
out of 3rd gear. (The car had 4). But I
was always aware of that and thus able
to work around it. The little car was a
gem. A little while later, foolishly
(as seemed always my wont) I simply
gave the car in upon the insistence
of an older mechanic friend in Rahway,
Freddie Fox, of Fox's Garage. I probably
should never have listened to him, but
I did. He'd say, 'Why you driving a
little piss-pot like that?' I guess shame
wears a baleful face. He had a 1957
Jaguar to sell for some lady undergoing
a massive divorce and hating her
husband and wishing to sell-out
everything he owned out from under 
him, including his Jaguar. Which I 
got for 300 bucks, needing an
exhaust system (it had been sitting),
which Freddie gleefully not just
replaced, but fabricated for me,
chrome tips and all, for another
60 bucks. I was suddenly living
large, in the 12mpg car department
anyway. One day I raced a Volvo
sports car (a P1800, it was, 60's
era), all the way up from Sea Brite,
NJ. It was some sort of challenge
that the guy's girlfriend had in her
eyes at the bar. (I probably should
have wagered for her!). I won,
barely. By the time we got to the
Avenel Fire House light, both cars
were cranking with fury. I had
cracked a cool 103mph on my
speedo, and the Volvo was right
next to me the whole way. At the
firehouse they continued straight,
(northward), and I turned right
for Avenel Street like Parnelli
Jones (an old-time racer) waddling
home. Never saw them again. My
two friends, in the Jag with me, I
noticed, were busy cleaning up
their own poop.




No comments: