Thursday, July 7, 2022

14,412. EMBEZZELMENT

 EMBEZZELMENT
The guy at the horse corral
was picking weeds. It was a
fine day for that, but I said,
'don't the horses just eat them
anyway?' He laughed and said 
'No. We keep them on a strict
and enforced diet. They mostly 
only eat what we give them.'
-
He was pretty tall, and his belt
buckle shone in the sunlight.
Farmers and horse guys often
have that look  -  part hayseed
and part rube, I guess  -  but this
guy wore it pretty sharp. I did
always like horse-girls better.
-
They always seem to have a
flaxen, shiny look  -  much more
to my liking, and one that better
seems to fit with horses. No 
mind to that, though; no telling 
for taste.
-
Just the other day, and for the 
next day too, I saw a small
caravan of laden tractors, each
loaded up with hay. The went
past me, slowly, 4 in a row, one 
way, and back the other way, 
empty. Each was driven, slowly,
by  -  I guess  -  Mennonite ladies
in their Mennonite garb - the little
head caps and light blue farm-dresses.

No comments: