Friday, February 22, 2019

11,562. RUDIMENTS, pt. 604

RUDIMENTS, pt. 604
(good bones and built on rock)
One thing I noticed right off
the bat, out in the country like
that, was (and it hit me as an
epiphany, which is a cool way
of saying I was 'thunderstruck,'
which is another way of saying
I was struck by lightning, in
a metaphorical sense)  -  the
people there were totally set
and fixed and rational, and I
was completely abstract. My
thinking bore little reference
to theirs. I just saw things in
other ways, like from a complete
other place. That was OK, and
I realized it all, but it made for
a challenge, in that it was my
responsibility to make it kind
of merge together. So as not
to cause conflict or a meltdown
all around me, of the entire
situation. I'd snuck through,
somewhere, and made it stick.
The absolute last thing I could
do was to begin mouthing about
any real opinions or feelings.
Now, psychologically, and even
socially, that's a problem, when
you have to internalize things,
to conceal, to lurch around
never owning up. Yet, in
the same sense, it was all
cautionary. I had no qualms
about doing any of it, I've made
mention before of the local guy
just back from Vietnam, with
all his gritty-horrid tales  - they
simply took him in and somehow
flipped him right into being a
local Troy cop  -  the highway
patrol stuff along Routes 6 and
14. That all pretty much left
him free to do whatever he
wanted, beneath a supposed
dignity that came with the badge,
Bad idea. Which is 2/3 of badge
anyway. He had a wife and a
young baby too, pretty near the
edge of my property, off a ways,
and the little I ever saw of
their home scene the more I
just figured he stuffed his wife
in the closet each day when he
got home. No other options
included or considered. Were
I ever to really give back to him
what I felt about his military
bullshit derring-do and tales of
death, murder, and manipulation,
he'd probably have shot me on
a traffic violation charge for
some made-up resisting arrest.
So I stayed quiet and watched
what crap really looked like.
There was no real 'Law' law out
there; these local guys were basic
strap-ons watching out for kids
stealing erasers from the Ben
Franklin store; or maybe
watching parking meters.
Not for him  -  in his eyes each
car that passed was a possible
Bonnie and Clyde situation.
It was maddening. To get any
real justice or law done, you
had to call in the State Troopers,
who patrolled the country up
there everywhere but were, as
well, few and far between. When
those guys I've mentioned were
using my barn for their simple
auto-repair operation, and when
they beat  up on that Bob Saterlee
guy's Austin Healy 3000 because
they found out he'd been bopping
Mike's sister (that kid with the
Mercury Comet that ended up in
my pond), it wasn't the locals
that came to my door, it was
the State Police. Justice with a
hammer, not a dream. There
was a vast difference.
-
Sometime around the year
2005 or so (I was long gone
from there), in the next little
village over  -  a dip in the
road sort of place called
Big Pond, (home of Lloyd
Perry and the outrageous
Perry brothers), some Biker
guys had holed up, members
of the Pagans motorcycle
club  -  a notorious bunch  - 
and one of them being a wild
criminal on the run, it was
the State Police who showed
up for the shoot-out. One of
them getting killed, before the
Biker guy was apprehended.
It wasn't any local Troy cop
who got that call. It was the
'Staties.' Over in Troy, those
cops were probably too busy
watching that the bubble gum
machines weren't stolen from.
To me, each and every one of
these sorts of episodes presented
the philosophical-abstracts of
Justice versus Freedom, of a
person making Life up on the fly
versus someone so decrepit that
they have to dot every i and
cross every t. Life just wasn't
like that and I never saw it as
that. Pennsylvania was a weird
state, back then anyway, and it
still is freer than most, at least
along the east coast anyway.
The things they 'regulated' 
were odd. The State Stores, for
instance, controlled all liquor
sales, at state-controlled prices,
There wasn't any real free
enterprise, with price variations
and product selection. If you
wanted booze in any of these
little towns, you had to go to
the approved and licensed State
Store and buy it from this tidy
and very neat little dispensary.
Posted prices, nothing out of
order, clear and open aisles.
The people were dour. The same
with auto inspection  -  there
weren't the auto-inspection
places as there are here, say,
in New Jersey. You could most
probably get away, out there,
with just ignoring the whole
inspection routine, claiming
'farm use' for your vehicle,
etc., but if you did wish for
vehicle inspection you had to
go to a regular, commercial
inspection garage, posted
prices, and nothing for free.
They'd inspect your car, do
the paperwork, and dispense
the sticker needed. Back then
maybe 30 bucks, IF they 
didn't find some stupid 
infraction to gouge you over. 
No way around it, if you 
decided to play the game.
-
Most of my time up there I
stayed very busy. I'm not the
handyman sort, by any means,
and in all proper actuality the
place to which we'd moved
suited me quite well. It was
solid, and it was old. It had good
bones, was actually built on a
slab of rock, which, as it slanted
in, also acted as the basement and
garage floor, (beneath the house,
from the side). Very cool. I didn't
much care about the right things
that most others cared for  -  that
I left to my father's crazy visits,
when he'd go root-bad nuts over
doing repairs, refreshing things,
painting this or that, etc.: Those
tiny things he doted on; which 
of course left me free for more
abstracted wanderings. Away 
from reality, but careful. The
place had two pianos  -  in the
side room that used to be a tax
office, when Denton Parmenter
lived there. It was like a sun-room
too, lots of glass on one side, 
which also meant a lot of morning
light (facing east), and sometimes
too the heat it would cause. The
two pianos differed greatly. They
both looked the same, don't  get
me wrong; upright pianos. One
was in nice tune and had a nice 
movement, a good feel on the 
keys, nice sound, etc. The other 
was different  -  one of the pedals 
was broken off  -  by someone's 
heavy foot, I guessed, having 
snapped it. One or two keys 
didn't play, and it was grossly 
untuned. They were pretty
good contrasts. Some days 
I'd sit there and realize how 
perfectly they were attuned to 
the split-sectioning of my own
world  -  the perfect piano, all
the notes, pedals, keys, playing
a good music (representing the
average law-abiding, rational 
thinking person), and this other 
one, missing some stuff, way 
out of tune, but still able to 
produce a daring and quite
interesting and quite sound. 
Head-in-the-clouds crazy 
different, and for which, 
maybe the sheet music had 
not yet been written.
-
As an addendum to this, let
me add that there was a funny
thing I learned from all this sort
of light exposure to law and order.
Cops, criminals, and politicians :
They're all the same. That's right,
there no difference between them,
because the same rigorous and
 very ordered thought processes 
control each. There's nothing at
all abstracted about any of this. 
The contrast between what law
enforcement is supposed to do -
that is, control and prevent crime -
and reality, is that oftentimes the
police and authorities become an 
officially sanctioned gang of
criminals off on their own. In 
early newspaper illustrations, one
well-used cliche/trope was of an
honest officer, having refused a
bribe or other corruption,
returning home to his hungry
wife and children.



No comments: