Sunday, February 17, 2019

11,547. RUDIMENTS, pt. 598

RUDIMENTS, pt. 598
(no mysteries there, or 'glass-blower's lament')
Half-famed artist Gandy Brodie
brought multi-famed poet Kenneth
Koch up to Elmira. Which was
an added bonus. These were both
guys you could read about in any
arts or culture book of the 50's
and early 60's. Akin to my years
in Princeton always seeing Paul
Muldoon around every corner.
It made everything easier. One
other time Rod Serling showed
up too. Unbeknownst, to me 
anyway, his daughter had been
attending, under a different name.
Up there, in a place like that, you
clutched at whatever straw you 
could. Seeing guys like that, I used
to try and decide (never came
up with an answer) why a TV
in the house would annoy me
but people of some renown, like
them, didn't. In some respects
the equivalency should have
been the same.
-
There were plenty of issues up 
there. The one guy, at Marine
Midland Bank, to whom I went
to a meeting with once, about
my 'finances,' introduced me to
the idea of credit cards; 'Marine
Midland has a Master Charge
[that was what Mastercard was
called originally] and it would
serve perfectly your needs.' It 
was a new concept to me, and
we set a credit limit, terms, and
all that, and the rest is credit-living
history I guess. For good or bad,
in those early 1970's years were the
stirrings of the complete alteration
of how people (me included) lived
and dealt with money. Come to
think of it, I don't know what ever
became of Marine Midland, as 
bank or as credit company. I 
always liked the name.
-
Up at the Corning Glass Works,
(next town over) there was a
glass museum, and an active
viewing area, right in the factory,
where you could go in and sit and
watch the cool glassblower guys.
I don't know how any of that's
done now, but it used to be pretty
fascinating. I never knew what
the guys were making either, vases
or bulbs or whatever, but they'd
have these fires and ovens going,
and this superheated molten glass
and they'd pick a big blob of it,
colored or swooshed or plain, 
and, from the end of this long
mouthpiece and tube they'd blow
into (just like it sounds) and one
hand, or an assistant, would 
have these glass-scissors or snips
and he'd (never saw women) cut
or shape or twist or twine the
molten glass while it was still
pliable and all, before the cooling
process began, which fixed the 
shape. Then they'd press into it
to mold or shape or leave marks
and things, with their fingers or
some implements for that use. 
There was some of this that was
considered glass-art. That was called
'Steuben Glass,' and there was even
a Steuben Glass showroom, gallery
and store on Fifth Ave. in NYC
for the longest time; and that
work was valued and worth
a bunch and kept in museum
glass cases and all that; other 
stuff going to royalty or the 
Shah of Iran (Pahlevi and family 
was still there then), pieces for
memorials or awards, etc. The
rest often was just for sale, for
home use, or decorative display,
a few hundred bucks here or 
there. Corning was like a little
company town, built (like 
Roebling NJ was) around the
industry (glass works) that 
then employed everyone, in 
a cluster and a medieval village 
type set-up. My friend Mary 
Kay lived there for a while too, 
so we visited often enough. I 
always liked the glass workers. 
Erasmus Corning or somebody, 
as I recall, with an odd, Corning
family name was in the House 
of Representatives too, representing 
whatever Congressional District
that was, 24th or 26th or something.
Other than all that, it really wasn't 
much of a place one with little
or no identity. There were some
nifty little nowhere villages all
up around there. Painted Post,
named from some old Indian
marker thing that was once 
located where the town was
founded. Same deal was with
Horseheads, another town right
there  -  supposedly the site of
an Indian boneyard for horses.
Dead horses. Like a horse 
junkyard. Ask the Injuns....
-
I mentioned a few chapters back
about the Sullivan Expedition
and the military guy who led the
assaults and killed all those
Indians in wiping out the local
Five Nations Iroquois that had
lived here, in the hills and along
these rivers. There were monuments
and signposts and memorials
for all that crap everywhere  -  no
one ever talked about it, no one 
was ever directed to where the old
Native American moving-settlements 
had been, or the burial mounds and
the sacred sites, etc. Everything
was presented from the white man's
eyes (I know, I know, only the 
winners get to write the History;
fine, and big deal). Major-General
Sullivan, this and that, whatever
his name was. He got honor and all
glory, and the rest was invisible
silence  -  so that car dealerships,
(Schulman-Van Etta Chevrolet!!),
shopping plazas, stores and a mall
too, could be built, strips of roads
and cheap eats. There was even a
Sambo's! (before shame put the 
whole chain out of business years
later  -  big-lipped black-slave
Sambo logo and all). The entire
time I lived there I never met an
'Indian' nor anyone who knew or
gave two you-know-whats about
any of what had occurred. I always
had a spot for that sort of subverted
and sequestered history.
-
Well, I guess all that's whatever
and humans aren't the types, I've
noticed, to pause and reflect over
meaningful things. They stop 
and blabber over anything 
connected to same fake-ass 
holiday or any stylish and 
momentary cause or movement, 
and thy love all that war and
warrior crap (what's with that?)
but a billion dead locals under 
foot never stops them at all.
'Pave it, and we'll park on it'
makes a damn good motto for
the Indian Bones Shopping Mall.
-
I was never much of an ordinary
kind of person, and it felt good,
to tel the truth, when every so 
often someone would notice that
and make mention. 'Where'd you
come from? How'd you get to that
conclusion? How do you think?'
What may have, to others, been
considered insults to others were 
always welcome praise to me. 
I've been told by my own goodly
wife that people either love me
or hate me, because I leave
them no middle ground. She's
cool with that, and sees it
always as my dare. Point of
fact is, I don't have 'friends'
to speak of except for a few
that come right to mind; 
certainly no crowd, nor 
anything that  would fill 
up Dominic's (that's a local
place hereabouts mostly used 
for afternoon funeral repasts).
HOWEVER, as I always tell
her (goodly wife character)
I come with a life-list and a
guidebook and nothing hidden.
And I don't have a wrapper.
No mysteries there.
-
In Pennsylvania, way out 
behind my acreage, into where 
the woods had grown back  -  
saplings and things, of maybe a
 30-year growth vintage  -  
we had what appeared to be a
dump, or a dumping ground
anyway, that must have last been
active in the 1930's. Soil and
loam had sifted over the earth,
and buried a lot of things; but 
if you dug or otherwise 
disturbed the soil you could
come up with some real
oddments  -  rusted metal and
all, yes, but still worth the thrill.
Those large bullet-shaped pod
headlamps from old cars, doors 
and fenders, old lanterns and
poses, old milk urns and pouring
devices, ancient hulks of bicycles.
All sorts of things. My father used
to come up and pick through it
all the time. And he'd go home
with some weird items. The father-
in-law too, he liked and got 
lanterns and old colored glass
and embossed medicine bottles.
I admit, it was pretty neat. A
little ways off there was a stream
and a fishing hole too. I used to
imagine the saintly silence of
the local natives, maybe even an
encampment right there. It always
did seem to me, from my own 
investigating and evidences,
that where the white folk had
set down with something  -  
village, hamlet, line of stores,
homes, etc., it was because,
before that, the 'Indians' too
had been utilizing those same
locations : good grounds, where
the streams and rivers converged,
where the ground was rich, the
fishing good, and where maybe
the pow-wow and communication
paths had converged. I guessed
it was always true  -  Life and
Being most often keep to psychic
patterns all their own, and
we are just bystanders and
know little of it. It's all
bigger than us.

No comments: