Monday, February 11, 2019

11,534. AUCTION GLOVES ON

AUCTION GLOVES ON
I've got my auction gloves on and
I'm selling the world : taking all
bids on nothing. This reality,
unfurled, it waves like a wind
on the water and the wise men,
yes, would pass on bidding but
mostly people swirl to raise
their hands and pick their bid
and choose their numbers. Here,
look, they are stacked three-deep.
Professors and preachers and
lawyers and madams  -  old
folk and young fold, none making
amends just rather bidding for
more as if there's no end to what
they can have. And still they want
more, again and again. The lovely
doyenne reaching high, she seeks
the Tipplewhite Vase from 1445.
That man wants 10 buses, another
the streetlamps from some  Downing
Street lane; this kid seeking Babe 
Ruth's glove is bidding again. And
here is that yacht named Absurdity;
5 men in a vicious bidding war are
screaming actively for more! What
would I give to accept the whole lot,
I'd bid on a trash can, and heave
what I've got. I'm selling the world -
an old bitch gone in the teeth
 with a gutful of rot.

No comments: