Wednesday, February 20, 2019

11,559. RUDIMENTS, pt. 602

RUDIMENTS, pt. 602
('the iou's are out there')
One time, in Pennsylvania, one
of the local kids who'd taken
to hanging around came by one
night with a baby raccoon. As
I recall it was late March, still
chilly out at night but getting
better daily. They'd been out
'coon hunting' (raccoon) and
had evidently gotten (killed)
the mother here, in a tree and
this baby raccoon was left 
behind. Would I please take 
it. Of course we said yes, and
immediately put it in our bathtub
(dry, empty) figuring it wouldn't
have a way of climbing up the
sides to get out. We were right,
and it stayed there a week or two
as we fed it, etc. (my wife was
bottle-feeding it for a while until
it started eating food) and it soon 
grew into a household pet, much like
a nice dog  -  it would step outside
with us, do its 'raccoon duties' 
and then come back inside. Slept
in various places indoors, liked
closets mostly, under chairs, etc.
We fed it some sort of dog food
and my wife made it food of 
whatever sort it liked  -  I can't
recall what. Soon it was a full-sized,
quite pleasant, arched-backed,
house raccoon. We had a pond 
area and it spent time there too,
often washing food to eat or
gathering things  -  those little
paws were quite adept as hands.
In that respect not doglike at all.
If you've ever watched a raccoon,
they use their little hands (paws)
to gently caress and/or wash their
food, piece by piece. Whereas a dog
puts its head down into the food
and eats, a raccoon, using its 'hands,'
brings the food up, piece by piece,
to its face and mouth, to eat. As
if, almost, quite thoughtful. This
one remained with us, took walks
all over with us, no leash; it just
walked alongside or a few paces 
back. They have this odd, rambling,
round-back gait, as if they were
hunchbacks on four legs. It was
a trip. People would sometimes
see us and stop, just to watch.
Back on Inman Avenue I once
had a duck, 'Peter' that did much
the same thing. Following,
and walking along, to school, 
etc. Weird. This isn't to say that,
as it grew and aged, this raccoon
did not cause some problems.
Hiding was one of them. In
closets, mostly, it was at times
impossible to locate. It would 
huddle under things, and 
sometimes chew as well  -  
shoes, etc. Those were the 
only real problems. And
then, by that late Fall, I 
guess the raccoon call-of-
the-wild got to it. It was the
saddest thing, and still makes
me sad  -  it just ambled away,
last seen entering the deep 
woods to the far rear of our
acreage; never looking as much
as back a glance. See ya' later, 
alligator, and all that.
-
It can be funny sometimes 
how things can affect a person. 
That was one of those memorable 
and formative moments that have 
never left me. In spite of months 
of shared space and companionship, 
the gulf that separates human and 
not was always there, latent, just 
waiting to spring out. Only me, 
humanistically and in joy and 
awe of what was going on, 
thought it could, or would, last 
forever. Naive, I suppose. I
guess somewhere deep within
that raccoon-being-spirit thing,
the animal instinct and sense 
of isolation from humans was 
always there, just slowly 
growing. I never had that, I
thought this was forever. Maybe
that's the difference, engrained
in genetic make-up, that makes
dogs life-long pets and other
animals not so much. I'm facing
off that stuff again  -  as my own
dog ages I suddenly realize I'd
forgotten about all that; how they
slow down, lose out, and die so
early. I'm already sad on that
count, and have no idea what 
I'll do when.....I always swear,
'Never again!'  -  and then I'm
right back to it. Drat.
-
Those kids became real pests
after a while too. The one kid I
mentioned, his father was in
Texas, and his mother lived
up here in Columbia Crossroads
by herself and with 4 or 5 kids.
A couple of different last names
involved there too  -  I never
asked. Anyway. He in turn later
moved to Texas, and became a
State Trooper, or Highway Patrol,
or Ranger, or whatever they have
there. I guess he's long retired now,
probably about 63 or 64 in age.
He used to drive a Mercury Comet,
and he and his couple of friends
would often come around and 
stay, heck, overstay. Smoking.
Drinking. One time I finally had
to just tell him to leave, and he
got all upset, went out to his car,
and floored it good upon leaving.
Except he lost traction on my
dirt road, and ran sideways and
the front end went right into one
of the two ponds we had along the
roadway. He came begging back
up to the front door, 'Please, Mr.
Introne (all of a sudden that, not
Gary), please help me out, I'm
stuck in at the pond, front wheels
sunk. I won't bother you; I'm sorry,
just help me get out...' He was 
miserable. I was real nice, 
and said sure, there wasn't an 
issue, of course I'd help. So we
got the tractor, some rope and
just hauled it out, not much
worse for wear  -  in fact the
next morning the pond-edge 
and shrubbery looked like they
got the worst of it. Mike drifted
off, graduated and was gone.
His two other buddies stayed 
around  -  I don't know what ever
really became of them. The one
kid, Denny, he was living along,
with his little brother and a real
drunk dad, all the time, in a small
house along the road. I don't know
how they managed, but they did.
That house is for sale now, up 
there, Columbia Crossroads
real estate, for like $79,000
and it looks like a bomb hit 
it. It never was much but a
small cinder-block house at
the edge of the roadway, but
it's so decrepit now it's sad. 
Even at the price they want.
A bag full of memories, but
with the bottom blown out.
-
Heck, I look back at things now
and half the time I can't imagine
the way I was living through it
all at that moment. I was in so
many respects just making it up
as I went along and each day's
events and adventure went into 
that night's ledger book of what
to learn from or forget. I was never,
therefore the same, some days not
even from morning to night. I
realized there was one way to
act among the older country folk
out there  -  they were unforgiving,
noticed every little thing, were
clannish and old-line and didn't 
much like interlopers. Then
there was another way to act,
or be, among the farmers and
farm hands and kin and family  - 
they cared little about weeds
or mud or problems or the world
in general. Everyone always
seemed pretty ready to drop 
what they were doing and roll
around in the hay. Sometimes 
the farmers would start 
complaining or griping about 
this or that  -  bills to pay, costs 
and expenses, animals and
sickness, maintenance and 
health, or the milk truck and 
the inspectors. But I figured it
was just because it was all on
them; they had to carry around
all those worries and doubts all
the time as they went about their
'chores.' Anyway, for these guys,
when they got made or surly they
just grabbed a rifle and went out
to find something to shoot at.
They were always picking off
errant deer, woodchucks or
groundhogs, whatever the
difference, rabbits  -  they'd
shoot at anything. The claim
was a farmer had no season to
hunt, they could hunt whenever
they wanted by just saying it
was eating their corn or crops,
whatever they'd be shooting at.
I was always glad there weren't
any homeless encampments or
wandering travelers. They be
gone before they could reach
for the corn or taters.
-
The British word was 'randy.'
I'd never heard it used like that
before  -  these were most  often
Scots-Irish people and they were
always ruttin' or horny or, as
they put it, 'randy.' I guess wives
were kept real busy. And everybody
did have kids, often enough. I think
'ruttin' meant, like animals, 'rutting.'
Leaving marks on the ground or
tearing the bark off trees. Rubbing;
horns, antlers, or backsides against
trees and all. My father, whenever
he came up, was always warning me
about taking some farm-daughter of
ripe-teen years up into the hayloft,
for fear I'd get found out and shot.
There were a few girls like that 
around, yeah, but evidently they 
excited him more than they ever 
did me. I never did anything. Then
again, I may be dumb but I was
never stupid. Maybe that was
the reason I stayed put.
-
Sometimes I have daydreams and
I get sad and sorrowful about my
animals  -  I had a lot up there. Six
or seven dogs, geese, ducks, the
raccoon, about 20 cats, sometimes.
Something was always happening.
Country life ain't pretty, let me
tell you that  -  cars run things 
over. My dogs ran free, and two 
times it was I was told one or the
other was dead at the side of the 
road down there close by. It was
always the saddest, dark part of
my life whenever something like
that happened. One time a few 
dogs, one being mine, got shot 
for chasing deer, about a mile or
so off. The jackass farmer all of
a sudden cared  -  any other time
he'd just go shooting the deer for
fun anyway. This day he must 
have chose dogs. I wanted to kill 
that bastard myself. I have late
night horrors sometimes, trying
to get off to sleep, of the animal
karma that I screwed up on, and
figure, God help me, I have a lot
of payback due me. Not good.









No comments: