Sunday, June 23, 2013

4492. FOR ALL OF THIS AND I DON'T CARE

FOR ALL OF THIS
AND I DON'T CARE
Watching the guy put up wall posters, his bucket
of glue and his long-handled brush, I see he just
swabs it on in great big swaths. The papers stay
up -  proclaiming anything they wish, advertising
anything at all : that big, hot, new fashion girl,
the barbecue fire at Randall's Southern Grille,
the stock-quote guy with his inane smiley patter.
It's all just lies, of little consequence to anything
but those great liars who contract this crud. I
could sell cripples shoes with more good-will
than this stuff has. How long, I wonder, is the
line for passage at the big maw of Death?
-
And now, as evening approaches, everything grays
out and slows down. A big, fanciful, fat full moon
slowly rises in the huggable sky. Mosquitoes fly
about, still bothering me, at least. My mother
used to say they only bite the sweet ones : what
a crock that too turned out to be. By now, oh
so many years on, I should know for sure.
-
If anyone else ever stumbled in my steps, he'd
know of what I speak  -  all these fabricated geeks,
making their time. Three-story homes and eighteen
rooms, three cars in a yellow garage with a wide
driveway they have to re-tar and seal every other
year  -  a few grinning Mexicans always at the
ready  -  they otherwise know nothing at all
and just cut everything they see. 'Let it be
dry and flat,' they say, 'like the town where
I came from, Chihuahua!'  -  and then they laugh.
Have you ever noticed, that's all they do?
-
Why do we wonder we've gone down the tubes?
Look at this mess we've allowed.
-
And I can't communicate with anyone at all.

No comments: