Wednesday, June 19, 2013

4485. A MILLION KINDS OF SERVICE


A MILLION KINDS OF SERVICE
A million kinds of service and I get you :
the SST that will never land, the scripture
book that will never be read. The apartment
seeker's budget only calls for music in one
key  -  A-flat  -  let's call it. That's me.
Nothing you'd go seeking out, yet
something you'd easily settle for.
-
Now here I am, drinking tap water again;
it tastes like the gruel of a witch's own
soup  -  all that frog's head and leper's heel
stuff of legend. Whatever gobbledy-gook those
witches in Hamlet were sputtering, 'toil and trouble'
and the rest, be assured I can hear it now. Ringing
like a cancer bell, clanging like the mortuary door in
a hospital's alley. Where the decrepit ambulances
come, pulled by donkeys. But that's no matter; when
I die my friends will come looking and say 'yes,
yes, that was him for sure.'
-
I love it when others laugh  -  I see their charmed faces,
adorable in glee, spacious in their happiness. I really
do want to love everyone. How stupid is that, I wonder.

No comments: