Monday, June 17, 2013

4477. OH SO THEN I RAISE HACKLES

OH SO THEN I RAISE HACKLES
This little finger of river seems touching; at
loose in the bowels of a very sticky city, it runs
along a corridor of pipe and concrete. As if the
engineers had long ago said 'we want it here,
yes, but not really.' And oh, don't I know those
feelings. Sometimes I am ashen gray with fear.
-
If they took this all away from me, I'd have
nothing here : a barricaded dream, a
place with
no names or exits or evasions, a language without
any useful verbs at all. In order to maintain my
own standing - even here, along 57th - I only
try looking straight ahead; avoiding the stares of
those ladies, out of reach of the loading dock guys.
-
My spirit vaults - it is larger than the tallest thing
around me, above and beside me. I am angelic in the
way I can bust the frieze and say nothing back to any
accusers : and my every pant is a prayer, my every
move is a plea back to some Lord on high.

No comments: