Monday, June 3, 2013

4442. THE BODY EXPELS, THE MIND RETAINS

THE BODY EXPELS,
THE MIND RETAINS
Perhaps there's little difference between the two, but the
body can spit and cough. What does the mind do? Keeps
the reminders of each little thing - storage-memories of
declension, slights and gains? Varied manipulations we
should have long ago forgotten? Ah, to expel such want
and need from memory; indeed.
-
Now the water is running down, over rocks and ...
along
the path - I think of other things, all that I've imagined,
all that's come my way and gone. Tribal memories, even
they, like public outings or proclamatory shouts, seem now
to amount to nothing. Were I hanged in a public square,
I'd be no more annoyed nor embarrased than this.
I need to ask myself why.
-
The mind retains, the body can expel. So many varied
things go into the color of a life - we can only hope,
between the passings and the choosings, that it is
done, at least by effort, well.

No comments: