Tuesday, May 21, 2013

4413. SPIRITUALLY

SPIRITUALLY
Here, I've arrived on Salivating Ridge  -  or was
that Salvation Rock? I dearly lost my way, oh, Deary,
oh. The fierce men were still in the hallway  -  licking
their fingers in that old roadside house. Inside, the Russian
guy was trying to sell anything he could  -  coffee and rolls,
donuts, maps and chips. 'I bring things in fresh everyday  -  
but I never buy too many. The Parks Service rents me this
concession. I try to make a go. I try.'
-
No one seemed to care; leastways I. Moving my
bottled effervescence aside meant little as he smoked
another cigarette. 'Ain't supposed to be smoking inside
here, but in these hill parts no one cares  -  except the
Parks Service people and the hiking crazies. But I
can hide it.' Funny guy, just getting be.
-
It's strange enough, how we manage, each, to suffice -
beneath a staggering sky of such beauty and the running
of fiery blue waters. Everything is moving by me.  If they
had never said 'Appalachian Trail' to my ears, I'd really
have known it anyway  -  part and parcel of a certain
goodness, truly, this was a no-man's land.

No comments: