Thursday, May 2, 2013

4361. I INVENTED WRITING IN THE HALL

I INVENTED WRITING
IN THE HALL
So unintentional was all of this that I also invented the
ink that flows upward and the page that reads down.
I heard all the pleas, and I took note of what I was
doing : spending Thursday in the parking lot watching
old George the picker trolling the gutters for overnight
change  -  'from the meter people, they just let it drop
and walk away.' George has no need of money, but
I just let it go. What's another nickel in his world full
of woe? Just before the sun-up rising, a bunch of
morning robins are running along the ground.
-
'What's that, what's that you say?' George asked.
'North American Running Robins' I replied, as if
I really knew  -  all these birds are like ricochets.
They bounce from this to that, flitting where they
may, but  -  true it is  -  these robins spend way
too much time on the ground. 'Gunning for worms,
he said, 'just gunning for worms.' If I had to tell
him myself again, I'd really get ill : 'gunning for words,'
I replied, 'just gunning for words.'

No comments: