Wednesday, May 1, 2013

4358. THE TRUTH ON THE CHURCHYARD WALL

THE TRUTH ON
CHURCHYARD WALL
('Virtual Pilgrimage to Lourdes, $40 a person,
Our Lady of Loreto Church, Cold Spring, NY')
Well, Mr. Wind In the Willow, what of it all now?
Have you paid the price for entry and gotten
nothing back? I saw the backgammon part of
your head, and didn't like what I saw. Let me
lay it out in this staccato fashion : Your are
dreaming of Sandy Lee and she's been married
thirteen years by now you're remembering our old
days in the wine cellar but that place has been filled
in years ago - you're a man of the past I can see  -
and the only position you ever played for the Mets
or the Yankees was designated replayer and though
it all looked pretty good yes I'd seen it all before and
now - swank monkey - you with all your dough can't
even get the gumption up to come on out of the
churchyard to listen to the bells - they sound a
lot different to an outsider when you're out and there's
a background noise a'singing something about old
Vera Cruz or Hyman's nose or lose and snooze all
that jumbled stuff and the man in the pulpit is the
man who will gulp it : I saw that written on the
parking lot wall : at first I wasn't sure what it
meant, and then I got it all, and all of its intent.

No comments: