Friday, May 10, 2013

4381. ANIMALS

ANIMALS
I am looking at the Roman Coliseum,
those bas reliefs of animals and men  -
two soldiers with crossed swords, one's
arm apparently broken off or crumbled
long ago, and a lion, somehow here with
two heads. I flew in two days back on an
Alitalia flight, numbered 5703; not a year,
though looking like one. After a landing and
a settling in, I've walked here now, a'shudder
like them. I too am an animal; something set
loose from my own zoo of thought and extension.
Here, watch me grovel, watch me stare. My train
of thought is long without you. That makes me sad.
-
In the blistering sun now, I am looking up to a
to a cavernous blue sky  -  though through,
somehow, an inner eye. It's all the same  - 
I am calm and I am reserved.
-
I find I travel best when I stay in place.
Those marked men, carved here, in a
concrete of putter and form I do not
know of, they are candles in place for
others to visit. I've got to be honest,
all I see now are scum-sucking tourists
with cameras and phones. I seek solace and
being alone. (For this I come to Rome?)...

No comments: