Wednesday, May 15, 2013

4395. TANCRED CONQUERED BETHLEHEM

TANCRED CONQUERED 
BETHLEHEM
It was a simple matter of timing, by 1099, and
that legendary lance found under the floorboards
didn't help. That was back in June, I think, 1028.
It was said to be the Holy Lance  -  by God the
one that pierced Christ's side. Later on it was only
Raymond Saint-Gillen we had to conquer  -  and
it was that which brought Tancred to conquer
Bethlehem, on June 6 and  -  praise this Lord 
again  - ('Jesu Corpus Salve,' they were yelling).
-
And now  -  like diamonds, all these reflections on
the Schuykill are thrown back to my eyes and my 
own silent words come back to haunt me. Hard as 
I try, I am never alone and only this Philadelphia
morning bears a ghostly feint of Bethlehem of old.
-
'The frenzy of the assault and the slaughter were of
epic proportions, as the crusaders took control.
Many of the Muslims who had climbed to the top of
the Temple of Solomon in their flights were shot to
death with arrows and fell headlong from the roof.
Nearly ten thousand were beheaded in this Temple. 
If you had been there your feet would have been stained
to the ankles in the blood of the slain. What shall I say?
None of them were left alive. Neither women nor
children were spared.' (Fulcher of Chartes).
Be glad, then, that you live today.

No comments: