Monday, June 25, 2012

3735. AND NOW THE BIG ONE

AND NOW 
THE BIG ONE
As I write, as I swear, as I utter:
now is the moment before me  -  on the
curb nearby, that woman is buying wine
in a paint can. I do swear. It's true.
Near to that, a $4000 BMW motorcycle
is for sale on the sidewalk - a 1992 K
something or other. Not bad at all, nicely
kept, mileage not much. Across from that,
the Tickenor Art Gallery shows nudes as
clowns and still-lives with trains going by.
The walls are made up as faux-distressed,
as if we (all) lived amidst a revolution.
I am beaming, for I really do love all this stuff.
Winsome girls in Summer clothes glide by, to
sit for coffee or small lunches. Overly-strange
dude'd men, with tattoos and heavy-frame glasses,
a tophat or two, they too pass, alone or together,
or hooked to some woman or man. Who knows?
I want to scream out for something, anything:
'Does anyone here know me? Would anyone here
give a damn?' A singly scary black guy does sidle
up, asking for 'small change for water?'  -  enjoying
his odd integrity, I give him 50 cents. He takes it,
in an abject, humble way that makes me,
already, sorry for nothing
so much as myself.

No comments: