Monday, June 11, 2012

3701. STANLEY

STANLEY
I have brought nothing to the fore and nothing to the show :
my architecture has all fallen down, and the tent I erected
did not withstand the rain. So let me show you other things.
This toybox, for instance, was built by my father's hand. It
was, from day one, way too large, but always useful. The
car shop, called Mike's, on the corner, only takes cash for
repairs  -  which always makes me instantly suspicious.
Across from him, the local country club is always filled
with vivacious and middle-aged people; expensively clothed,
eating well, bodies in fine shape, and  -  along the pool  -
there are always late middle-aged women in bathing
suits, looking not too bad. All around the area, there's
a red-brick wall about five feet high. Years ago, I remember
every day, at about 5pm, seeing the little Polish immigrant,
Stanislaus Polscyk's father, waiting for the bus after his
shift. He was an orderly, or janitor, or what have you, for
years. Then, just as retirement time came around, they
let him go. He was, the old man, devastated, and quickly
wasted away. I don't know really why they would do that
to him; what to be gained, etc. Stanislaus - who by then 
called himself Stanley - told me that.

No comments: