Friday, June 1, 2012

3683. APOSTASY WORKS BEST FOR ME

APOSTASY WORKS 
BEST FOR ME
Never you mind the wherefores and
the whys  -  that was how my parents
died. The madhouse frenzy of an
apocalyptic doom can mean nothing
to me now. Or, as my friend Aleck used
to say - 'your house, crazy, all that energy
and nothing going on.' Piss on all that.
-
I am upstairs in a Frenchtown gallery,
viewing old industrial ruins, now pictures
as art. Nobody works at nothing no more.
Nobody makes a thing. It all gives me the
creeps, and the blond girl behind the desk,
I bet barely thirty, tries catching my eye  -  
but her breasts, I do swear, already are
giving me vertigo. I have so many
funny stories in my life.
-
 At fourteen, reading Lawrence Ferlinghetti's
Coney Island of the Mind, (the old 'I am waiting'
routine)  -  turns out, this San Francisco guy was
really Lawrence Ferlin - living amidst the Italians
in SF's Italian district. He wished to be a poet
with a cooler name. Sounded like 'spaghetti'
and thus became 'Ferlinghetti'. That old,
Jewish milk, just curdling again.
-
Back in the gallery, the old wood floor creaks;
with my steps, or ours, or the steps of other
people. I imagine nothing less and we are
talking, she and I, the girl who left the desk,
as she gently asks 'who am I?' or 'who are
you'? The question, either way, sounds berserk.
I tell her, 'you know, so many have changed
their names, like men who have changed
their sex.' With that, she leaves me alone.
-
And - not to be outdone - the pterodactyls
outside are strutting their stuff  - walking
towards the river, walking the bridge.
I step into the decoy store, the man is
very nice, and very gay  -  two huge
rooms of antiques and varied and painted
decoys and ducks of another time, the
paintings, the frames, and the art:
-
When all these fops held farmlands and
foxhounds with their household dogs and
their land-locked cunts, their trumpet calls
and their big fox-hunts. And, oh, it was so
a different world. Now, this bastard's
playing The Rolling Stones overhead,
from 1971. I can't believe my ears and
eyes  -  a fucking, messed-up world.
-
I ask him nothing. I look about,
knowing my eyes would be too hostile,
and my mouth too foul to shout.

No comments: