Tuesday, June 5, 2012

3691. ALL THOSE LINES

ALL THOSE LINES
I'm standing in line in Greenland,
I standing in line in Greece : days blur
by, one thing after the other. Here, 
before me, the Parthenon. Like I care.
Putrid, almost non-existent, a color
of stone I do not wish to bear. Outside
of nothing else, I'd much rather be on 
a small Greek fishing boat, counting my
dollars to donuts in the American way.
-
My mother used to say that: 'dollars to
donuts,' and, quite often as well, she'd say
'I bet you ten to one, blah, blah....' on and
again about something. Strange; as if she
were some gambling hall matron running
a whorehouse on the side. Gone now, 
can't ask her about nothing.
-
My father was a maniac  -  a madman across
the waters. Died crazy as a loon. Frittered away
even his doom, though never knowing it. He was
a happy worker to the end of his days. Then
he cracked. People have all sorts of reasons.
I don't. All I ever see is his shadow stalking 
me. Death takes a vacation? Who said that ?
-
Now, across the land I see, Albania, Bari, 
all those insane places from my past. King Zog,
he ruled Albania for decades. People tried
leaving in droves. Those that were apprehended,
they died - or rather they were killed. Killed by
neglect. Killed by disaster. Killed, again, by
their own putrification. Run across the water,
if you can, to Bari. Anyone would go crazy.
-
Greece. Bullshit Greece. Bullshit cradle
of Democracy. Bullshit Aristotle and Plato
too. Everything's a lie, from beginning to end.
My father's mother, yeah, she died crazy too.

No comments: