Monday, June 4, 2012

3689. 381 WASHINGTON STREET

381 WASHINGTON STREET
I feel like an existential martyr, the guy all scrunched
up, waiting in black on the couch. There's nothing on
my face but a grimace. The old, tired air of the flinty
walk-up I inhabit reeks at every moment of sundown
and flesh. I'd really rather be anywhere else at all.
-
Just before, out at the harbor, we walked like two
drugged sailors to the very edge of the wharf  -  one
daring the other to jump. Then the black truck went
by, and from within someone threw a small bag of
garbage our way. That certainly fixed our conversation,
didn't it. Before it was another second, they'd left 
in a big puff of bad truck smoke.  I thought of all
the places we'd been, and all the people
with whom we'd spoken. Strange, how
so little remains of the good.
-
'Don't live in the past, those days are over,
you're done with that, it's finished.' Helena
said that from the landing ledge, a little while
ago. I'd tried waiting for the words to set
in, but was too restless, just had to go.
Now, only a few hours on, here I am
again, scrunched up and tired, and
oh so ready to run.

No comments: