Wednesday, December 14, 2022

15,869. THE DAUGHTER OF GORDON MEANY

THE DAUGHTER OF 
GORDON MEANY
The bus that slid into the pole at 14th street 
by Third Ave., it only made me think of
safety. They say there was a man crushed,
beneath it. Pretty much, not having seen,
one has to take their word on things like
this  -  even if they lie or exaggerate. Here,
there's either a man dead, or not. Ask any
pedestrian what they may have seen; you'll
probably get different answers from each.
-
I used to know a girl who lived right there,
well, close by anyway. Her luscious name was
Valerie  - a word I never ceased repeating.
Don't know why. It reminded me of color, a
sort of purple in my mind. Funny how that
stuff happens. Like Salvador Dali, but more
calm.
-
She moved to Utopia, Kansas. In 1981. When
she told me what she was planning, I said, 'Huh?'
and 'What the Hell? And where is Utopia, Kansas, 
in Kansas? What, you make a left at Eden?'

No comments: