Tuesday, December 27, 2022

15,887. HOMING IN ON

HOMING IN ON
The books are arrayed in varied forms of
shelving. Since 1969, most of them have I
had, and all those after that have now grown
as well, as grew my interests broader. Ten
thousand volumes, short- counting. They
are everywhere, and have moved with
me thrice.
-
I warm to their touch and I buckle to their
memory : each one from a place and time 
of my life that I can recall: Those two 
bookstores in Ithaca, up at Cornell, as 
early time for bookstore/cafes but they
did it pretty well. And then, of course, all
those college bookstores over the years:
havens for the mind, and playthings for
the torch : Columbia, Labyrinth, Alfred,
Lehigh, Yale, Boston and wherever else
such magics hung. Moe's in Berkeley, City
Lights, and it all goes on.
-
Now, everything else is all passe, and these
 things come and go: Webinars, and Zoom?
Who really wants to see only a face looking 
in. I don't get it, but you look OK! I'd rather
be reading in my carriage of health, roaming
far and wide to see the results. Being stuck
in one place is a bore.

No comments: