Tuesday, December 13, 2022

15,862. IN THE MANNER OF THE CAVEMAN

IN THE MANNER OF THE CAVEMAN 
'Come over by the window, Jethro.' 
'Huh? What's that?' Jethro never did
know much. I hit him in the head with
a rock. He went down after a touch to
his head with finger that came back red.
'Well I'll be! he said.
-
Four-thousand years later, I'm sitting
in a yellow cab. It's at Seventh Ave and
41st. 'Can we get this hunk moving, or is
traffic gonna' be like this all night?' The
driver, looking funny in the mirror said,
'Oh, sir, I do not know. It is very, very
difficult, although that I am trying, you
should know.' His name, the dashboard
card said, was Muhash Azziz. Likely
story, but his accent fit the bill.
-
I leaned back and fainted and then revived.
Three times if I remember right. When we 
finally got to 12th Street, I said 'You can let
me out at the arch up ahead.' Azziz turned
and said, 'OK, then. Very good, sir. I am
very, very happy to so then oblige.' Thirteen
dollars, and I tipped him a five. Hardly
worth the ride.

No comments: