Friday, August 26, 2022

15,541. WHEN THE MERRIMENT TURNS TO MONUMENT

WHEN THE MERRIMENT 
TURNS TO MONUMENT
Mostly now, I live in the past: city streets
and darkened turns, in poorly-lit parks
at evening when the swings are inactive
and the kids are all gone. Junkies and
losers take over. The majority of time
has been theirs anyway. Mothers have
gone home, with their babies and their
carriages, prams and promenades, kids
and all their noise. I rather revel in that
half-light they leave behind.
-
If Jesus had still a 'manger,' I doubt it
would have been here : Nothing trumps
something, and even the angels that
hover now on the evergreen tips and
the tall elms that arc, even they would
have turned away. A lone candle tremors,
like a brand new fire in a Black Forest
wind. When the merriment turns to
monument, I can't go out, and I
can't go in.

No comments: