Saturday, August 13, 2022

15,012. PLACER MINING

PLACER MINING
As I am standing here, and
you are standing there, with
your half-brushed hair, I watch
and wonder what has come
between us. A gulf between
a space and a time where
there should be no gulf?
All that seems just too sad.
-
Sooner or later, yes, one of
us will be gone, and I dredge
no goodness from that miner's
coin. It's an empty, shallow
pail, all that, and not worth
a damn to me now.
-
All those old guys, panning 
their gold, from the Days of'
'49 for those not too stupid
to know, they kept their own
nuggets in canvas sacks. to
the assayer's office they went.
Struggling over dirt and path,
with a burro or a mule, each
intent upon disproving the
other. 'What'cha got there,
pardner? Let me see.'
-
Alas, for me, I'd have nothing
to show. Empty canvas, empty
effort, and time to go.

No comments: