Tuesday, August 23, 2022

15,534. MAGYAR BURIAL MOUNDS

MAGYAR BURIAL MOUNDS
Across from me  -  in a most lazy
way  -  the stern and the hum of
Grand Central Station rolled. As
I turned the corner from a Joe's
Coffee and a Hudson Books, the
newsstand kiosk caught my eye.
At first, without understanding,
I was mesmerized, and then I had
to think. Some obscure paper's
headline blared : "Ancient Magyar
Burial Mounds Found : May
Contain Millions!"
-
Millions of what? People? Coins? 
Money? Riches? Jewels? Something
seemed left out. Like the Chinese
horsemen once found as statues
all lined out in a cave, there was
something else in store to be found.
Newspapers never lie! I stammered
to my disbelieving self. The stony
rattle of the marble atrium resounded.
-
Nothing much about being imprecise;
no one cares or knows that stuff any
longer, and imprecise is the watchword
of the new-informative crowd : 'We may
patter, we may rumble, we are loud!',
they say. And I don't care.
-
But someone ought to answer for these
ancient Magyar mounds. Please, please,
what are they and what do they have 
there?


No comments: