Thursday, November 7, 2019

12,271. RUDIMENTS, pt. 863

RUDIMENTS, pt. 863
(st. crispin's day you say?)
I was never gung ho for
any of that battlements to
the hilt stuff, preaching
for espirit and keeping
all the men together in
battle. It just never worked
for me. It's akin to cheerleading,
which I always thought to be
about one of the wackiest
things in the world. George W.
W. Bush was a cheerleader,
did you know? Yes, at
Yale, and at Philips Exeter,
Andover. (Prep school, I
think). Dwight Eisenhower,
also a President, was a
cheerleader at West Point.
I guess someone had to do it
It might as well have been
them, I suppose  - leadership
abilities in a flippy skirt?
-
There was something about
the essence of life that I could
never get to the bottom of,
or understand. Most all of the
people I knew in NYC, as a for
instance, were for sure the
whole other spectrum of that
stuff, and what's the difference?
Jim Carroll, if you read 'The
Basketball Diaries,' he never
even touches on that sort of thing,
instead it's all angst and grit, and
the rancor and fighting of drugs
and coming down, and death.
I always felt a lot more closer
to that end of the spectrum. Jim
kind of spoke to me more than,
say, anything from Norman
Vincent Peale ever would. The
other part of it always seemed
to be made up of people striving,
trying to find placement, be
something they were not, just
in order to be part of a crowd
they'd been led to idealize.
Like the goons always at
Max's Kansas City, or Elaine's,
or any of those downtown and
uptown bars considered all
high and correct for that
big entertainment crowd  -
as if everyone ought to be,
you know, like David
Johannson or something.
Hell, I'd rather die in a
Needle Park with Jim Carroll
than slog through all that
nightlife stuff. I had a friend
who used to go to the Tunnel
nightclub. And before that,
at 157 Hudson Street, the
Area club. That place was a
bit cool  -  a hundred years
before it had been stables for
the original American Express
Company, when it actually was
a freight and express company.
That building is still there, and
has their horse logo thing high
up in the bricks, still. Like I
said, the Area Club had been
their stables, for horses and
wagons. The club itself was
simple, but very cool  -  wild
and well-covered. Press and
famed fools. My friend, at the
time, was living with  -  actually
more like fighting and brawling
with, the sister of the girlfriend
of Robby Krieger, of the Doors.
They were all over by then,
Jim Morrison long dead, and their
whole scene was a mess, mostly
a California mess  -  The Doors  
I mean  -  but this sister thing
was always running on, with
visits from them, occasional
archival tapes and recordings
dredged up to make new stuff,
and talk of Doors reunions with
no Jim, of course. They hung
out there a lot  -  the Area Club.
Drugs flying everywhere, crazy
antics along the rope line, lights
action, camera, all that. I never
knew how my friend survived.
I know he and the girlfriend
didn't. The rave talk was that
he was doing both her AND
her mother. It all broke apart,
and last I knew he was far off, 
Louisiana, and then later, Texas.
And selling cars, no less. 
What a life.
-
I always felt this was the sort
of thing that vapid cheerleader
stuff led people into  -  like on
St. Crispin's Day, celebrated
in late October, two early martyrs,
with weird names Crispin and
Cristianus or something, I guess
they were not brothers, but they
went at this together and were
martyred as one. That's the story
anyway  -  cheering for God all
the way out. That's a nice story,
but why isn't it 'suicide'  -  I
always wondered. Why they
would make a saint's day out 
of that, and have a calendar
saint's holiday for it and all
always baffled me  -  too much
seminary stuff I guess, still
bolted around in my head.
All that crazy martyrdom stuff,
I always figured, wasn't martyrdom
then, when it happened, it was just
death, or chosen death  in a weird
suicidal way, using religion as a
motivator. Which is odd. But
it wasn't martyrdom until much 
later, after the 'script' was 
developed and they'd laid put
the plans for such a concept
and the narrative and the
sequence. None of it so real
as a moment, ever. Yet, people
go cheering into it all.
-
Ramshackle stuff, tiredness,
feeling a bit beleaguered  -  those
things happened to me, but I
never faltered. One night I
remember taking my bicycle
up, from 11th Street, right up 
to some club over by the
United Nations somewhere.
It was a club called Rolling
Stone, and that DJ guy Scott
Muni owned. He always
annoyed, all serious and frumpy
about 'rock n' roll'  -  like he
knew anything about that. he
was just a huckster, for the
trade. And for the morons he
was always pumping up and
interviewing   -  nincompoops
like Elton John, whose 'tragic'
story, according to Scott Muni, 
was that his hands bled when he
played piano at his concerts. I
think the point was he 'played'
so hard. Whoopee. Anyway,
I got there  -  can't remember
the motivation; I certainly had
no clothes apt for that crap, and
no money either, just a stolen
bicycle I'd taken from someone's
curb trash, I think, and managed
to get it working as a one-speed.
I got to Rolling Stone, went coyly
around the back, and some guys 
let me in. No questions. Turned
out the band for the night was a
recorded group called 'The Fallen
Angels'  -  an album or two, I've
seen  -  but their drummer was so
f'd up he couldn't hardly stand
steady, let alone play drums.
So they pulled him off, and 
down, and someone asked 
me what I could do, could I 
play drums? And if so would 
I please step in, keeping
it all simple. So I said, 'Sure,'
and took my new position. I
mumbled something about 'Get
it started I'll follow in.' They
did so, and I just began pounding 
the skins. It was easy, except for
the lights blasting in my eyes.
Whatever I played, I don't 
remember, but of the maybe 
70 people in there, amid the 
retch, stink, some and haze, 
there were probably, maybe, 
three that could piss straight, 
and that includes the girls, 
only if they had to, by that 
time. It as a raucous nasty, mess.
But I got it done. 'nice goin,' kid,'
and all that crap, ate some food,
drank something, pretended to be
cleaning up the drum area and
gathering sticks and all, and
just left, slinking out just like
I'd come in. The raggy old
bike was still there, and it was
probably 3am. I rode slowly, 
back downtown, along First or
Second Ave., which it was,
and all I can remember are 
strings black limos, Cadillacs
all, back then, slowly cruising,
with old, wealthy looking people
getting in or out, getting their
rides home, from other clubs 
and all that. At the lights, I'd
see people just staring at me,
bored, from their or through
their rear limo-windows.
It was cool, and mysterious,
and deep and inviting  -  and
I never needed a cheerleader
to get me all hepped up.


No comments: