Thursday, November 7, 2019

12,270. RUDIMENTS, pt. 862

RUDIMENTS, pt. 862
(just add water)
It was all a bit sketchy to me,
the way the whole thing worked
out. Indiana, all that rooting for
basketball and the Hoosiers,
and Rah-Rah the rest. There
was this wedding I went to
once, in a large banquet hall,
out in the country there, and
surrounded by trees. It was
crazy  -  as narrow as a cop
wedding, the kind you see,
but these were basketball
guys, each at least 6 ft. tall.
-
Some drunk guy comes
wandering in the tall ball
hall. He's tipsy, but no one
cares. He goes over and takes
a seat by the stairs. He keeps
saying, looking about, 'Hoosier
Pride.' No one knew what he
meant. 'Who's the bride?' a
guy asks, 'What do you mean,
she's the one in white.' Hoosier
Pride, he repeated again. Then
he sees two guys hugging.
'Swish,' he says, and again,
'Hoosier Pride?' The other guy
says 'what?' once more. 'Who's
the bride?' A deer comes out
of the woods, and stands by the
window a bit. The drunk guy
says, 'A three-pointer? Hoosier
Pride, Hoosier Pride. Swoosh!'
Now, yeah, for sure you had to 
be there, but it all was pretty
funny. Those Midwest types
 have trouble with humor, I 
think, but these basketball
gags, were hitting on 
all cylinders.
-
I always liked goofy stuff of 
that nature. Why else do we 
just go dragging on through 
life moping and complaining 
about everything else? It
seems there should always be
reason enough too for the
non-sensical stuff; for artists
and writers oftentimes that
becomes the finest raw 
material from which to build 
some masterstroke of
development or fantasy.
In the years I was still living
at home, 1959, '60, '61, my
mother was always getting 
these monthly Reader's Digest
Condensed Books. Some poor
author like, say, Fletchher
Knebel, or whoever wrote
'Seven Days In May', things
like that (used only as an
example)  -  they finally hit 
it big after years of slobbering
and slaving over every word and
comma, and then Reader's Digest
Condensed Books buys the deal,
Knebel gets a few bucks, and they
have the rights to cutting the
crap out of the poor book so the
600 pages get cut down to like
250 as a Condensed Book, and
then monthly packeted with two 
or three others into a sort of
suburban presentable fake
library version of intellect,
and my Mother ends up never
reading it anyway. I don't
know what she ever read, 
ever, of these things, but 
they took up space on the few
little wall bookshelves we had.
Which then, each Christmas
Season, were cleared of all
the books anyway, lined with
with cotton and glitter, and 
some stupid-ass Manger
scene, with plaster animals 
and Jesus, Mary and Joseph
too, with some near-approaching
honly-tonk looking Wise-Men
(no one ever said Magi) and
it all sat there near-to five or 
six weeks anyway, replacing
all books and all thought, if
there had ever been any. The
thing about Christmas that
irked me, even as a kid, was
the sneaky way they snuck into 
everything  -  like even if you 
didn't like it or want to deal with 
it, as in my own case  -  you'd be 
sitting around watching Officer 
Joe Bolton and his dumb-ass 
Three Stooges, and it would be 
some damned Christmas themed
episode, day after day, at the
end. And you know those guys
were't even Christians. The 
whole rap was just so bogus.
The same too with everything,
except maybe westerns  -  they
didn't have that stuff really then,
but even there, the moguls who
made this crap tried sneaking it.
All that Christmas crap really 
bugged me.  You'd go to a 
supermarket parking lot, and
freaking cart-guy would be
wearing a freaking elf-hat.
Probably begging Christmas
tips too. You thought those
Memorial Day Poppie guys were 
stupid? This crap had that beat 
by a mile. I swear, there was a 
Twilight Zone  I saw once, in 1959, 
where the little  green men that 
landed in their bogus spacecraft 
came out all somehow wearing 
Christmas togs. It was all so bad
and so fake. Even the truth had
gotten condensed; and if there's
no truth to Truth, than what's
anything about anyhow?
-
Me? In any of those creche
scenes (you never heard that
word either, back then), I never
felt to be the donkey, or the
lamb, or Joseph or Mary or
any of the Wise Men either.
None of it ever appealed to
to me at all. Maybe I'd have
liked to be the light in the
sky that drove all this, that
would be cool. Now that I'm
old  -  well, older than I've ever
been before (did you ever think
of that, every minute it's that)  -
I figure, yeah, I'd love to see
80, but don't much expect it.
(If you're reading this after I'm
dead, please don't go reading it
back to me. I won't hear you,
OK.), but at every minute I
realize something's up. I'm
nearing the end, and what the
heck happens next? I figure
the body and spirit make it
easy on you, I hope, and just
roll your mind slowly into the
idea of death, without a lot of
chatter and debate towards
the end. You've got no choice
anyway, so whatever it can
be about, go gently into it so
it CAN be about. Whatever.
-
I used to tell my Mother :
'Condensed Books? Like that
horrible milk in the little can? 
Mom, I don't want condensed 
nothing; I want all of everything,
the full 100%.' She'd snort, and
start smirking at me. I never 
got any of it anyway, but at least
I told her what my thinking was.
I guess maybe that's part of what
a Mother's for? Now, everywhere
you turn they have reduced this
and reduced that, condensed water,
probably, and vitamin enriched.
Just add water? Swoosh on that.
I'm a'goin' to Indiana  -  where
men are men, and the sheep
are nervous.



No comments: