Saturday, November 30, 2019

12,341. I HEARD THE HARLEQUIN

I HEARD THE HARLEQUIN
These aren't water balloons you're
dropping over Linden you know.
I've seen the Wood Avenue shoppers
go flying with each impact. That
Santa Claus guy was laughing
at the sky.
-
It's not really much of a place;
I stayed there once, in the 1960's,
when there was a hotel in the
center of town : train station,
diners and restaurants; a full
liquor store too.
-
Now it's barber shops, Polish 
food-stores, dollar stores, nail
places, and the usual convenience 
store connivances to get you to
part with your money. The Father
and Son Hot Dog place is long 
gone too. I remember first finding
it, in 1966, and I thought it was
some oddball religious eatery.
-
I saw a dollar store today. The
sign in the window said, 'Everything
99 cents! Less, or More.' Me? I
didn't know whether to laugh or 
cry; more or less. OK, back to the
moment  -  keep flying around, I'll
drop more to the ground.

No comments: